Headers for slant 6

-

cybrtygr32

1967 Ratfish Fastback
Reaction score
Hey guys. Good friend is building a 65 custom Barracuda. (He doesn't do the computer thing). Does anyone make headers for the 225 / 6 besides clifford performance? They are big $$$$$$. OR, does anyone have a set for sale?

Thanks, cybrtygr32

Hooker has one for the 198/225. PAW has them.

I went a different route and got a PowerPipe. You don't get the scavenging effect you get from a traditional header, but you do get better flow than as stock manifold and is less pricey than a header. They make them with a single outlet that bolts up to the Super Six exhaust (2.25 "). They also make in two pieces for duals. The price is right, too.

www.stormcomm.net/moparsnmore

There have been some heated comments concerning this product on this site. Most center on a lack of empirical testing. Better data may be available now. I examined the photos and read the discussions and concluded that this piece will give improved flow over the stock manifold and reduce weight on the front wheels. I don't plan on racing my car, so I would not benefit from using a header. I expect to have mine on the car in a week or two. I will also be enlarging the stock exhaust to 2.25" and will be using a two-pass muffler.

IMG_5656s.JPG

IMG_5658s.JPG

ill be removing and selling my dual clifford long tubes within the next few weeks...

Can you buy these from someone or do you have to make them?

You buy the front casting from Doug Dutra, and use a modified stock manifold for the rear. You can either modify it yourself, or send it to Doug to modify it for you (although you'll have to pay for shipping each way, along with Doug's fee).

I had a local welder cut off the front branch of my manifold and weld it shut — cost me $40.

72 demon. How does that goofy looking pipe sound? any different?

Did you notice a diff in how it ran after you put it in? Also, if you've already installed it, can you send a pic under the hood, i'd like to see how that looks.

It seems so funny shaped, i imagine it looking funny under the hood.

ill be removing and selling my dual clifford long tubes within the next few weeks...

Hey John,

If cybrtygr32 doesn't want your headers, I am interested. I'll shoot you a PM.

I'm not sure if your long tube Cliffords will fit the narrow body 65 Barracuda or not. I'm building a Duster.

I have headers that were on a '71 4 barrel /6 Dart I used to have. I also have the 4 barrel manifold as well, I'll put some pics up and if your interested let me know!

as soon as they are off the car ill post them. i am 70/30 about having an offenhauser intake also...

72 demon. How does that goofy looking pipe sound? any different?

Did you notice a diff in how it ran after you put it in? Also, if you've already installed it, can you send a pic under the hood, i'd like to see how that looks.

It seems so funny shaped, i imagine it looking funny under the hood.

In addition to the pipe, I put in a 2¼ exhaust using a generic turbo muffler. The tone is a little deeper under acceleration and it seems quieter in steady state cruise. I don't notice any pinging noise coming through the pipe, but I sometimes hear with a header. I still retains the distinctive sound of a /6.

Subjectively, the car seems to have a little better throttle response. (More torque?) Will try to run a TSO test this weekend. Unless you're looking for it, you hardly notice anything different under the hood. The second lower nut from the front is a lot harder to reach than it was with the stock exhaust manifold.

DSCN2132s.JPG

DSCN2133s.JPG

Hey, did you see my add for my Hipo six cylinder stuff in the classifieds? I got some really, really nice stuff, including a new Clifford intake, two brand new webers, new headers and a redone head.
I would like to sell this stuff so somebody make me a solid offer!
Don K

Dutra Duals are the best way to go on the street and for mild race cars. The Hookers won't fit the early A.

Are you serious? Dutra Duals are NOT good for 'mild race cars',ask Doug!

If you want real performance get headers.If you just want dual exhaust and dont care about improving exhaust flow get DD's.If you want to save a couple hundred bucks,and have the same performance as a DD,gasket match your exhaust manifold,open the outlet to 2 1/4,and run a 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 pipe out the back.

Are you serious? Dutra Duals are not good for 'mild race cars',ask Doug.

If you want real performance get headers.If you just want dual exhaust and dont care about improving exhaust flow get DD's.If you want to save a couple hundred bucks,and have the same performance as a DD,gasket match your exhaust manifold,open the outlet to 2 1/4,and run a 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 pipe out the back.
Grinder,you should re-read Rug-Truckers comment,he said they are good for mild race cars not bad?

I know thats what he said. They are NOT good for any kind of racing! In a race car you want max performance.

Just so everyone knows, any long tube header that fits a '67 and up A body will not fit in a '66 and older A body. Trust me, I tried a whole bunch of headers in my '66 Valiant.

If your buddy is not looking for maximum performance, a set of Doug's manifold's will work well. They are more money than headers, and if you run true dual exhaust it makes routing the exhaust lots of fun.

I have Clifford shorties in my '66 and always ran the Y-pipe with them.

Hey, did you see my add for my Hipo six cylinder stuff in the classifieds? I got some really, really nice stuff, including a new Clifford intake, two brand new webers, new headers and a redone head.
I would like to sell this stuff so somebody make me a solid offer!
Don K

I could not find your ad. Is the stuff sold?

-
Back