Headers on a '62 Valiant with an LA block?

-

Bill Crowell

Reaction score
I really would like to take my car to the strip one of these days, so I will have some time slips to show you guys, but it isn't running very well. It falls on its face at full throttle. (10.5:1; ported "J" heads; medium-to-largish cam; Torqueflite 727.)

I am trying to eliminate the possible causes for this one by one, and right now I'm thinking there may well be an exhaust restriction because I am using factory exhaust manifolds, from a 340 in any A-body, because I think they were the only ones I could find at the time that would fit.

None of the header manufacturers say their headers will fit a '62 A-body because I think the engine bay is somewhat narrower than that in later models.

I'm resigned to the fact that installing headers may require bodywork changes.

Have you ever known anyone who installed headers on a '62, or a '60-'61 for that matter, Valiant or Lancer resto rod with an LA engine? What headers did they use, and what bodywork alterations were necessary?

Thank you.

Possibilities...........Thorley "D"-Dart headers; Layson's Spitfire's, TTi has early "A" headers, OR, get creative and make your own.

Good luck!

-
Back