Headers Time

-

Shamrock--WV2NC

Reaction score
I'm ordering some hooker competition headers from Summit for my dart. They include gaskets and bolts. I guess I also need to order reducers. Is that correct? Next question is do y'all suggest 2 1/2 inch exhaust or 3 inch? Question number 3. If I turn the exhaust down right before the rear axel im not gonna die of carbon monoxide poisoning am I? Or am I better off piping all the way back?

I'm ordering some hooker competition headers from Summit for my dart. They include gaskets and bolts. I guess I also need to order reducers. Is that correct? Next question is do y'all suggest 2 1/2 inch exhaust or 3 inch? Question number 3. If I turn the exhaust down right before the rear axel im not gonna die of carbon monoxide poisoning am I? Or am I better off piping all the way back?
On dumping the exhaust: I dumped mine and it kicks dust up all over the car, so keeping it clean can be a chore. I don't really smell any exhaust fumes coming in the car while driving though. Could be different depending on the car. I'm not sure what your application is though. Maybe give some more details on power, intended purpose of the car, and what your setup is.

I'd stay with the 2.5" exhaust unless you are going over 400 HP. Check to make sure the headers don't come with reducers already. My Hedman headers did. If they don't you'll need to order some. I agree with thedartsport above. I have Hedman long tubes going to Thrush welded mufflers and turn downs right before my axle. The pros, it sounds awesome, sets off car alarms, and at night you can see the swirling dust cloud in the vehicle's headlights behind you at intersections. That dust gets all over the rear of your car. I keep a California Duster in the trunk for this reason. It will also resonate pretty bad inside your car depending on your exhaust setup. A turn down setup will cost less and if you decide to go out to the rear later, you can always add to it. I was worried about the exhaust entering the inside of the vehicle as well, so I took a household carbon monoxide detector with a battery backup and threw it on the rear passenger floor and drove around town and left it idling in place for several minutes. The detector records levels of carbon monoxide detected and it showed nothing. I'm sure if your body seals are deteriorated, it may be worse.

I went with TTi headers: 1&7/8 into a 3&1/2 collector, then into a 3 inch "reducer" for connection to my 3 inch crossover, cut-out set and Hooker Aerochambers. I only dumped it at the axle for convenience. TTi sells 3 inch tailpipes - but for now I want this set up.

aeroflowscutout-jpg.1714999875.jpg

Well, what are you doing with the car? Street only, Street/Strip, Strip only, Bigfoot ambulance? Second, what is the engine and trans built too do? I suggest all the way out but just that's me, Summit and Jegs mage a complete kit with or without mufflers in 2.5" and 3" depending on the answers to the above questions.

Why Hooker headers? Are these the style that hang below the steering?

The only reason I dumped mine was because I took the exhaust off my Dart Sport and put it on my Swinger, but they were different lengths. It sounds incredible but I probably wouldn't do it again simply because I have to avoid certain places to keep from getting my car disgusting. I'd like to run them out the side eventually. It probably wouldn't matter if it weren't a street application.

The only reason I dumped mine was because I took the exhaust off my Dart Sport and put it on my Swinger, but they were different lengths. It sounds incredible but I probably wouldn't do it again simply because I have to avoid certain places to keep from getting my car disgusting. I'd like to run them out the side eventually. It probably wouldn't matter if it weren't a street application.
mine are 3 1/2" dumped in front of the axle. w/ my home built muffler system. it does not resonate, or smell up the interior either. probly the litest , free flowing you can build. under 400h.p. u probly can get by w/ 2 1/2.

my advice is to save for a dougs or tti header. those hooker headers are typical cheep headers that hang low... but if you are stuck on the hookers so be it..

headers used to come with the collectors. not sure if they still do..

2 1/2" exhaust is plenty..

take the exhaust out to the bumper. dump before the axle can be annoying. can stink, be annoying noise wise..

Save up for Dougs or tti as mentioned. Better fit. No pipes hanging below the centerlink.

Autozone can get dougs for 350ish painted and 500 coated with a 20% off code. Summit has been known to match AZ's price with the code.

-
Back