headers

-

scot73swinger

Reaction score
Has anyone ran or is running fender well headers? If so do you like or dislike? I have a set that I was planning to use for my 340 build and will go in my 73' Swinger. I believe they are 1 5/8" tubes to 3" collector.

I have Hedman Hustler fenderwells on my small block 64 Dart bracket car .There are pros and cons to them .I love the room i have around the steering ,i also love the love the room around the bell and trans.The ease in removing them is also nice .Sum things i dont like is having to snake the oil filter up through the tubes when i change the oil and how close the tubes are to the master cylinder .The heat hasnt hurt it in the 4 years they have been on the car ,but it still bothers me .You cant have it all ,but i still prefer fenderwells on a race car ...

i personally think that on a 73, small block car, you would be happier with regular chassis headers.
It would be different though

Were they made for a later "A" body? I can tell the've been around for a while, but they haven't been made for the later cars in a while, except for W2 heads, if i recall correctly. If there from a "E" body or early "A" will they have to be modified?

My pops had them on his 64 1/2 Dart GT. I was thinking they would fit but not 100% sure. I also didn't want to run anything other than just headers. Any thoughts are welcome.

they wont fit,the older a bodies engine bay is alot narrower...

frugal =hedman ,hooker ,summit,etc,better but$$ dougs,tti

Fenderwells are: hotter (heat is up top where all your rubber hoses and carbs are) louder (see last) reduce wheel travel, rust faster as the tires kick up crap on the exposed tubes, hotter on the brakes and require cutting the structural support of the inner fenderwells on a unibody car. Plus side, they: offer room for steering box cooling, fit where others dont (not an issue with your chassis) can be huge diameter (not an issue with yours) look cool when you run a solid axle and your tires are 6 inches under the fender lip...I have had both and kinda regret cutting my inners but such is life...of an early A Mopar.

My buddy has a 67 dart GT with a 383 (original 273 car) and he when with the fender well headers.

The only complain was isolating the master cyl from heat, brake lines, and tire clearance.
Some header tape and skinny set of tires up front fix both problems.

If your after a street or street/strip car i would go with the standard header.

Pishta, yes it was sad getting the saw out and hacking a way at it. and then after all of that, it ran slower then his 360 that we pulled out! But that's a hole other story!!!!:banghead::sign3:

-
Back