headers

-

moparsteel

Reaction score
so im about to dump 650 buck on a set of dougs headers so my 70 duster wont bottom out any last minute suggestions??

Wish I had a better solution but Doug's and TTI's are the only ones I know of that don't have the drivers side that hangs real low. Last time I had my car apart I welded a 3/16" formed skid plate to the bottom of the Hookers so it can bottom out all it likes and not hurt anything. It doesn't bottom out a lot anyway cause I don't have the front end slammed in the weeds. Usually just bad crown's in the road that get me.

Welcome to the forum

TTI's seem to be a well made header based on everything I hear and 650.00 is pretty close to coated TTI territory.
They ( same for Dougs ) are not true equal length , so you will be leaving a small amount or power on the table........but if you don't want to build your own or throw down 1500.00 + , I think that is the direction I'd go.

Somebody correct me if I am wrong , but I was looking at a set of Dougs in a car last week end.....slip fit tubes and mini starter required.
TTI's for some reason I am thinking the torsion bars need to be removed , or maybe just on one side to install.....I seem to recall reading this when i was shopping for a set.
I had Hooker Super Comps in an early A and one tube goes outside the fender well........not easy until you have done it a few times.
My last set was home made and with an AlterKtion and much of the inner fender removed , which opened up a whole new series of issues. :D

Attachments

• cutting 035.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 250
Tubtar,no need to take out the tortionbars to install TTI headers,all it takes is to read the instructions,use alitle comon sense and hope the car was built right in the first place. any specs on that engine,i suspect its a W-something..

Tubtar,no need to take out the tortionbars to install TTI headers,all it takes is to read the instructions,use alitle comon sense and hope the car was built right in the first place. any specs on that engine,i suspect its a W-something..

O.K. , I thought I read that early A's had to route the torsion bars through the headers.
My deal is a 405 inch W9 / R-3. Fairly mild solid roller 264 @.050 and .664 lift , and 12.85:1 , built for E-85 and occasional street use.
I was going to dyno it this summer before it went in the car for the last time , but I have had so many set backs since I started this deal that I lost all patience. I will tune it on a chassis dyno as soon as I get it finished......hopefully in time to get a couple months of racing in before the snow flies.

Somebody correct me if I am wrong , but I was looking at a set of Dougs in a car last week end.....slip fit tubes and mini starter required.
TTI's for some reason I am thinking the torsion bars need to be removed , or maybe just on one side to install.....I seem to recall reading this when i was shopping for a set.
I had Hooker Super Comps in an early A and one tube goes outside the fender well........not easy until you have done it a few times.
My last set was home made and with an AlterKtion and much of the inner fender removed , which opened up a whole new series of issues. :D

I'm not positive but I think you've got them switched around. A buddy of mine has TTI's on his 67 Cuda and showed them to me a few yrs. ago when he installed them. Pretty sure it had the slip tube that went around the torsion bar so you didn't have to take it out and I remember he said he had to get a mini starter.

O.K. , I thought I read that early A's had to route the torsion bars through the headers.
My deal is a 405 inch W9 / R-3. Fairly mild solid roller 264 @.050 and .664 lift , and 12.85:1 , built for E-85 and occasional street use.
I was going to dyno it this summer before it went in the car for the last time , but I have had so many set backs since I started this deal that I lost all patience. I will tune it on a chassis dyno as soon as I get it finished......hopefully in time to get a couple months of racing in before the snow flies.

you are correct on the Early A-bodys they are crazy tight and requires removal of torsionbars while installing and a small starter.
the late A-bodys only has one pipe that is a slipfit going around the driverside torsionbar and no need for a small starter the stock one fits just right.

sounds like something i would love to run on the street!

-
Back