Headers

-

73smallblock

Reaction score
What size headers would you recommend for my engine? 414, m1 intake, .590 cam, speedmaster heads (non cnc and untouched for now) 12-1 comp. I have no idea how much power it actually makes. 1 3/4? 1 7/8? Was looking at hedmans because I like the slip tube style and non welded collector flange.

Car is a 73 duster

Last edited:
Same build as your went with these TTI 1 7/8 with 3 inch exhaust. I have 2 inch hookers and 3 1/2 inch exhaust on my car but one tube exits the fender well on each side. Note both styles must be used with steel mounts or that cam rocking that motor around will cause them to knock against things. both style are close to things. I suggest using 73-76 steering linkage.

20171222_153458.jpg

20171222_153625.jpg

20171229_123254.jpg

20180106_143914.jpg

Steve 059.JPG

DSCN1673.jpg

Steve 100.JPG

1-3/4 min.
1-7/8 preferred.
Ported head preferred. You have quite the cam in there. But I get it, the wallet dictates.

The Speedmaster heads are 16 gauge and $155... They're also high-heat painted black... Summit will price match and you can get them for 154 and also get summits customer service which is the best.. you have a problem they'll take care of you...

You need to contact FABO member @crackedback and see if he still has his 5303 Hooker headers.

That's what you want. You don't need a step header. The 5303 fits better than any other header of that size I've seen. They have slip on collectors and all the tubes are sperated from each other.

You MUST have the instructions to install them, or you'll never figure out how they fit. If crackedback doesn't have a copy, I do. I can scan them and email them to you.

They make power over every other header I've tested, they fit better and you can get to all the plugs.

That's what you want.

A 1.750 header is on the small size for a decent 340. The 1.875 header is on the small size for your displacement.

Hooker 5303. That's what you want. And you can't have power steering. That turns some guys off. Not me.

These will be ran with just extensions, no other exhaust components. I have no problem cutting a hole in the inner fender other then the front tires may hit when I turn hard (27''). As stated I'm not a fan of headers with the collector welded in place because they seem to rub loading the car on the trailer and other places. I was looking at the hedman 75140. I like the slip tubes and no collector flange. Looks like they don't make the hooker 5303 anymore?

These will be ran with just extensions, no other exhaust components. I have no problem cutting a hole in the inner fender other then the front tires may hit when I turn hard (27''). As stated I'm not a fan of headers with the collector welded in place because they seem to rub loading the car on the trailer and other places. I was looking at the hedman 75140. I like the slip tubes and no collector flange. Looks like they don't make the hooker 5303 anymore?

That Hedman is a great header of you don't mind cutting a hole in the sheet metal.

The 5303 isn't made any more. That's why I said to contact crackedback here on FABO. He had a set for sale and I don't think they sold. I could be wrong, but it's worth the PM if he has them.

-
Back