headlight bezel and grill restoration

-

1968340S

Reaction score
This is my first time looking for help on FABO. I have been member for a couple of months and been reading the forums. This is a great website. This
is my 1st A body and I have already learned so much. I'm glad I found this site.

Could use a recommendation on a company that does complete restoration
on my 68 barracuda headlight bezels,grill and trunk moldings. I called MCB
Restroation and Special T Bill from their advertisement in Mopar Guide. They
both could do the work but had a big difference between the two in cost.

If any body has a referal I would apprciate it.

The bill for a grill is based on the condition,a normal bill for a 68 grill all done is about 800-1100$ plus bezels,after you have recovered from the stroke,I can help you.The one I put the our 69 340 swinger,the rear tail panel,1100$,and we have a 69 and 68,and other cars,mrmopartech

I'm in the same boat as you with the same car.I found a place called CHROMABONITO that does rechroming and also trim panels.They say to send pictures of what you need to have done and they will give you a price.I don't know there reputation other then they were selling bumpers on e-bay and feedback was 98.6.I put a post on FABO to see if anyone has info but not much help other than you get what you pay for.If you find out any info let me know .Thanks

Bryan
[email protected]

Post some pics of how they look.

You may want to check ebay for the upper and lower decklid trim moldings which are close and the best repop's I've seen yet.

I got some and Mullinax95 got some as far as FABO guys that I know of.

MIne look awesome and were only 275 bucks to my door brand new.
Look to spend about 500 bucks getting yours deck lid moldings restored, at least 500 depending on how bad they are.

I polished my headlight bezels and grilles myself, still have afew dents, but they are pretty presentable at ten feet ha, ha.

I taped off and painted the stripes on the grille and headlightbezels with rattle can, and I took the argent silver off the grille bexels with acetone and polished the aluminum underneath.
I loved the shiny preserved aluminum so much, I did not have the heart to repaint the argent on there.

The silver on the headlight bezels, I removed with acetone, and painted with rattle can "aluminum" rustoleum.

cudagrille-13.jpg

wheels27.jpg

I checked out a couple shops for restoration. AllTrimPlus was on a website for
capitalcitymopars car club in sac town Ca. This company looks like best i've seen so far. What a price tag on the work.

Trunk pannels $1,175.00 for the set. Headlight bezels $1,100.00 and grills only no bezels $800.00. Complete show quality. More money than I really need to spend. Probably around $3,000.00 total or more.

I think i'm going to try MCB Restorations. For the headlight bezels, grill and bezels runs about $1,000.00 depending on the condition. They ask for me to send the parts and will call later for the quote. $250.00 each for the trunk trims. Probably $1,500.00 to $1,750.00 total.

All the companys perform the same type of labor on restoration. Do not
really knowe what to do.

The cost is a little important, but i dont want
get the ,get what you paid for and be unhappy with the quality.

All make the call next week. If you hear anything, let me no.

Chris

Nor-Cal

Hey Chris,
I have a 68 fastback and I'm looking for places to get prices on trunk trim panels and grill bezels. who did you use and how was there prices? Like you I don't feel like taking a second morgage. Thanks for any help

Bryan

I have used a few local people and have not been happy with the work. I have the trim for the back of my 67 Dart at a shop now and I think they have ruined it.

IF I can get some more that are restorable i think I will send them to King Of Trim in California. They are not cheap but what I have seen on Ebay that they have done looks very good.

You get what you pay for. The guy that has my trim talked a good talk, but what I have seen is not of the quality I want and it has been 8 months and I still do not have my parts.

These parts are very hard to get and if you do not want them destroyed make sure the company has a good rep.

I can tell you this about restoring Dash Bezels. I sent my three pieces off of my 69 Dart with A/C. When they e-mailed me with a total price of $453.90 I said go ahead. These are the two words that have haughted me ever since. The pices arrived and man what a terrible job they did. Chrome was slotchey, silver paint around the outside pieces was all over the chrome on all three pieces. Bezels were full of scratches and marks that they justed plated over. When I called to complain, they were very cold, said I was being unreasonable! Said they can't make them new, I told them I knew that and all I was asking for was Nice, not new. I sent them back and asked the owner to look at them and if he thinks they are up to his standard of quality to send me a refund, if he looked at them and agreed that they could be better, than send me three nicer ones. To date No parts, No refund, No cores returned to me. Oh yea, the company? Mr G's in Fort Worth Texas.

For dash bezels check out Gcar trim (http://www.gcartrim.com/) He work is great and I think it was around $350 to do bezel. I called Red line gauges to get my gauges done and they said if I sent the entire dash in they would remove the gauges and rework them and could send my bezels off to get redone, or I could send the bezel myself and just send them the gauges. They said they were using Mr G's in the beginning but the work was way below standard, and stopped using him and suggested I use Glen at Gcar trim. Glad i did...here are some before and after pics.

7.jpg

13.jpg

broke.jpg

after
DSC00615.jpg

DSC00616.jpg

DSC00614.jpg

Atlanta Chrome it rechromed my bumpers.
They also do (stainless and aluminum) refinishing.

They do show quality work and have reasonable prices.
They have been around forever and they advertize by word of mouth.
Ask for: Mike Grogan (direct) 770-294-6459 Marietta, Georgia.
Shop#800-621-0956

www.chrome-atlanta.com

Here's a pic of my bumper.

cudadart8.jpg

-
Back