Headlight Conversion

-
thanks, i seen that but it doesnt say how to wire the sockets or bulbs or anything

Dont knwo joe... they said 12 gauge so thats what im going to use.. as long as i have the relays and fuses i should be fine.....its not that much stock wire....but the more stock wiring you take out the better

ok so what i read is this
"I used a couple of relays on my 1971 Dart GT. I used the original wiring to enable my relays (see schematic), but did NOT damage the original wiring. I simply found male terminals that fit the original headlamp sockets and plugged them in as if it were the headlamp. I then drilled a small hole on the passenger side fender and mounted my relays (near the A/C drier bottle)."

it says that the stock sockts can have male terminals pluged into them so you can use all one size wiring

You can also remove the clips from the housing and remove the old wire then solder in the 10/12 gauge to the clip.

thanks actually yo ucan buy the sockets from ROCK AUTO for about 3 dollars each.. so i just need my 12 gauge wiring and im good

headlightrelays-vi.gif

The relays and sockets I got have 5 pins (relays) and 5 wires(sockets). If you are looking at the relay with the socket attached the terminals are labeled like this...

Top 87 yellow wire

Left 86 white wire

Right 85 black wire

Bottom 30 blue wire

Middle 87Q red wire....this is the one that is confusing me!

Can I just not use the middle wire?

in 73-74 duster purple is low beam and red is high beam wires at the head light connectors

the relays are the way to go. i was driving around last night with nice bright headlights. no dimming at a stop light or anything. this was one of the best upgrades i did to the wagon.

P6032275.jpg

P6032269.jpg

There seems to be some confusion as to the purpose of the relays:
The relays are installed to provide full voltage at the bulbs and avoid the voltage drop that you get with stock wiring, which for most of us is 30+ years old.
Also, using relays avoids running the load through the stock H/L switch, greatly increasing its lifespan. Burned out connectors and switches are very common on Dodge trucks, even with stock lighting.
Installing relays should be the 1st step in any lighting upgrade. Full voltage at the bulbs will make even the stock ones brighter. After that the H4 conversion is definitely the best way to go.
Still not bright enough? Wire a diode into the low beam circuit to keep them lit when the high beams come on.

yep. the headlights are wired right off the battery through the relay. you are just using the headlight switch to turn the relay on and off.

Still not bright enough? Wire a diode into the low beam circuit to keep them lit when the high beams come on.

if I may impose, I am not gettin the "mental" here.
could you post up a diag?

THX.

-
Back