Headlight film?

-

MopaR&D

Nerd Member
Reaction score
I've seen some pictures of racing Mopars that have blue-tinted headlights, what was the purpose of this? I think it looks really cool and would like to do that to the headlights on my Duster, if it doesn't have any other purpose...

I talked to Buddy Martin a few years ago when they were in town for the Nostalgia Drags.

He told me that it was done for the cool factor and nothing else.

they used the candy blue paint in a rattle can to do this. It's available at Advanced Auto and probably many other car parts stores.

Years ago I used the gold on a bobber that I built and it was pretty durable.

Mop

Hmm interesting. In that case I found film online that applies to the lens, probably not as durable as paint but lets more light through.

You cant tell when the lights are on that there is anything over them.

The blue paint is only as dark as you make it. More coats = darker blue.

The paint that VHT makes to replicate the anodized finish that is on AN hose fittings works well. it comes in either red or blue. I used it on some headlights for my Comet race car. Now if I could only find some buckets!!!! L8r

Jim

I have always liked this, wonder how it would look on my 66 Valiant?

I talked to Buddy Martin a few years ago when they were in town for the Nostalgia Drags.

He told me that it was done for the cool factor and nothing else.

they used the candy blue paint in a rattle can to do this. It's available at Advanced Auto and probably many other car parts stores.

Years ago I used the gold on a bobber that I built and it was pretty durable.

Mop

question, does the heat from the bulb "cook" the paint? If not that's cool!!! I always saw those blue and yellow headlights and wondered how they done it.

This is a terrifically dumb thing to do on a roadgoing car. The stock headlighting system on our cars is weak enough as it is without subtracting the enormous amount of light that any kind of a blue filter will subtract -- whether it be from a blue bulb inside the sealed beam (Sylvania Silver Star, Wagner TruView), a stick-on blue film, or spray-on blue tint. You may think the light looks "whiter" or that there's no significant loss, but neither is the case. Please, folks, we're talking about safety items that are barely adequate to their task—not fashion-accessory toys to munge up with blue gunk.

This is a terrifically dumb thing to do on a roadgoing car. The stock headlighting system on our cars is weak enough as it is without subtracting the enormous amount of light that any kind of a blue filter will subtract -- whether it be from a blue bulb inside the sealed beam (Sylvania Silver Star, Wagner TruView), a stick-on blue film, or spray-on blue tint. You may think the light looks "whiter" or that there's no significant loss, but neither is the case. Please, folks, we're talking about safety items that are barely adequate to their task—not fashion-accessory toys to munge up with blue gunk.
I was trying to be congenial, but Dan is right on.

I used some yellow glass paint from a craft store for a set of fog lights in a fox body mustang looked just like the yellow fogs in a roadrunner looked great paint was a tiny can for like 20 though

Translucent paint from hobby shop, does your duster have separate hi beem lights? i wouldn't do it to a two headlight car.

dark road, poor viability, hit something, mess up your car, or worse,

I know this stuff lowers light output. I am planning on redoing the wiring and lights anyway, especially before I try to do anything like this. And I'd definitely test the visibility before and after. I suppose it's a no-no after all as 1BadDodge71 is in the same state as me...

VHT used to make Blue spray on window tint. It's not available any more. Try candy apple blue from the hobby store. Most states will ticket you for having blue lights without a permit. (emergency color) Mike

yeah yeah, I know I know... safety and output and stuff... BUT IT LOOKS SOOOO COOL!!!!!

paint you a set, to put in at shows, as stated, no red or blue lights on the front of the car, unless you like paying fines.

yellow looks cool, too8) But really not a good idea for street use. Just my .02

mopar_drag_dateline_05.jpg

i use stained glass paint.

on my amx i run 6500k hid on the clear lights, on the yellow(stained glass painted) highbeam lights i run 4000k hid there bright at night. 2 lights outside lights for low, all the lights for high

my vega i tinted the lights yellow as well.

never had a problem yet

pics
amxhid2.jpg

amxhid.jpg

burnouts022.jpg

-
Back