headlight problem

-

duster731

young gun
Reaction score
When ever I turn my headlights on the volts drop a lot and when the duster is cold by turning on the lights even makes the engine shut off too because of the huge drop in volts and when I rev it it charges it over the normal amount, the needle on the gauge jumps 3/4 of the way to the right.. I have new alt volt regulater and ground wire the battery is good any ideas

Update as I left my house and in first gear I probably hit 5-6.000 rpms and I looked at the stock volt gauge on my 73 duster and the needle was all the way to the right.. over charging without the lights on

The ammeter gauge is the gauge that shows the charging level. Should be on your dash cluster. Not sure of what model you are driving. You will need to pull the cluster out to get to the wires. It is the gauge with the two thick wires coming into one side and out the other on two separate posts. One wire should be red and the other black. If it is the Duster in your Avatar, it will be the small round gauge furthest over to the left of the steering wheel on the cluster.

-
Back