Headlight question.

-

JF900

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I've got a 69 Dart Swinger 340 that I pulled the harnesses and rebuilt them with new parts where needed. I also eliminated the ammeter and bulkhead connector. I connected the ammeter connections and used posilock connectors to replace the bulkhead connector.
Anyway, everything seems to work fine but the low beams come on when I pull the switch for parking light position. The low beams stay on when the switch is pulled to the final position (as they should). High beams work correctly, Oh, ya I also installed the "crackedback" headlight circuit.
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance,
Jeff

Did you remember to ground the radiator bulkhead?
From the factory there is a jumper wire from just around the driver's side headlamp area that has to electrically return to the battery Negative. Also, the steering column has to similarly be grounded. And there is another jumper behind the passenger side head from body to engine, which finds it's way back to the battery thru the Battery ground cable. And IIRC the harness is grounded behind the driver's side kick panel, and one more in the taillamp harness, at the back, IIRC near the trunklock.

The point is this, if the harness cannot find a dedicated ground, it will go thru a headlamp filament. It will also do this if a wrong signal bulb is installed or if the correct one is installed wrong, or if a Chinese Signal switch has melted and is compromised.

The first test is to check the the new bulkhead connector.
Then the ground jumpers,
then the bulbs,
then the signal switch.
I'm trynta remember if the headlight switch has a groundwire, but it escapes me at the moment. make sure the interior lightswitch is in the off position, just in case.

Last edited:
-
Back