Headlight recommendations

-

matthew robertson

Reaction score
Hello all, Ive been stockpiling parts over winter this year for my 74 dart sport for a nice come back in spring! I’ve purchased some interior and engine bling bits and pieces so far and am looking for headlight recommendations. Ive purchased meaty rear tires with aggressive wheels and I’d like to try to match the aggressive look with the headlights. If there’s anything else I could buy to add to the look feel free to let me know! Thanks in advance

I used 2012 Jeep Wrangler headlamps (with relays). Complete bolt in, but the wiring connectors will need to change.

DSCN1613.JPG

I used truck lites headlights.. they are on my Jeep as well.. very bright and they are plug and play
4B67FB25-5160-4068-9B88-050D957BEF13.jpeg
6AA5D72F-D3BF-4D61-96EB-831C7707A296.jpeg

I have Cibie 7" E code halogen headlamp conversions on both Vixen and Gladys. I put @crackedback's relay and harness kit on Vixen and already had one on Gladys before he started selling his. I had an 08 Jeep Wrangler. Why anyone would want those headlights is a mystery, as they were some of the crappiest new vehicle headlights I've ever seen. The Cibie E codes are not DOT approved, but neither is any LED headlight in our older cars, either, so going either way you are really not legal so keep that in mind. With all but the totally crappiest headlamps out there the biggest things to remember is getting the proper voltage and current to them and aiming them properly. @slantsixdan has a very good web site regarding headlamps, bulbs, relays and aiming. Probably the best, IMO. Just look around. There are all kinda of interesting things called FACTS regarding lighting on Dan's web site.
Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

Slantsixdan is the headlight Guru on this site. I believe he works with or for the Canadian goverment on headlight certifications. Calling @"slantsixdan", we need your help!

Best pick depends on what you're trying to accomplish in terms of how well you want to be able to see at night (really important if you're going to be driving at night…less important if you're not); what your lighting budget is (you can bolt a pair of some of the world's best headlamps on this car if there's almost $1,600 in the budget…shy of that, there are other choices to make) and other considerations like what you want them to look like/not look like (want stealthy lights that look more or less stock but actually work…want a high-tech look…want something else?).

There's a giant mountain of garbage on the market, all hyped as an "upgrade". There's a much smaller amount of good stuff, but fortunately there's enough of it that pretty much whatever you want, within reason, you can have. You have to be really picky and shop very carefully. If you want, send me a message and I'll help and advise.

(those Jeep lights are nice lookers, and certainly better than sealed beams. If that's good enough for you, go for it…but "better than sealed beams" is a low bar, and I long ago lost count of how many Jeep owners I've helped upgrade away from those lights.)

Best pick depends on what you're trying to accomplish in terms of how well you want to be able to see at night (really important if you're going to be driving at night…less important if you're not); what your lighting budget is (you can bolt a pair of some of the world's best headlamps on this car if there's almost $1,600 in the budget…shy of that, there are other choices to make) and other considerations like what you want them to look like/not look like (want stealthy lights that look more or less stock but actually work…want a high-tech look…want something else?).

There's a giant mountain of garbage on the market, all hyped as an "upgrade". There's a much smaller amount of good stuff, but fortunately there's enough of it that pretty much whatever you want, within reason, you can have. You have to be really picky and shop very carefully. If you want, send me a message and I'll help and advise.

(those Jeep lights are nice lookers, and certainly better than sealed beams. If that's good enough for you, go for it…but "better than sealed beams" is a low bar, and I long ago lost count of how many Jeep owners I've helped upgrade away from those lights.)

Thanks Dan. I have a basic question.
What would be your first pick on a quality light (plug & play a bonus) with driving at night on dark roads at a reasonable cost to the working men?
Can you include various head light styles?
Stock appearing on up.

Thanks Dan!

Too many variables for there to be a pat, one-size-fits-all answer. In the first place, "reasonable cost" is a moving target. I'll do my best:

There are no longer any sealed beams worth buying anymore; they're all useless junk.

The best H4 replaceable-bulb 7" round headlamps are specific ones made in Japan by Koito; I have shelves full of 'em in large and small, round and rectangular. Here's the 7" round:

KDSL18T.jpg

The only decent inexpensive replaceable-bulb 7" round headlamp is the Hella 002 395 301 (they also make others in the same size that suck, so make sure you get that specific part number).

Bulb quality makes a giant difference in how well you get to see at night, and there's a ton of junk there, too, including all "HID kits" and all "LED bulbs" and all halogen bulbs with significant blue tint on the capsule (all this applies equally to later-model vehicles that came with replaceable halogen bulbs).

Whatever headlamps you wind up running, new or old, their aim is by far the main thing that determines how well you can (or can't) see at night, and how much glare you're throwing around. Even many brand-new vehicles have poorly aimed lamps, so it's well worthwhile to pay to get your lamps are aimed carefully and correctly.

FABO member @crackedback sells excellent headlamp relay harnesses, and our A-bodies are among the many, many vehicles that get much easier to drive at night when the headlamp circuit gets upgraded (more detailed how-and-why info here).

For more help or answers more specific to a particular vehicle/driving conditions/etc, please send me a message.

Nice! Can you expand on the wiring?

This is the best I can share from my home computer

2012 Wrangler Headlamp Conn.jpg

The GREEN connector & wiring (with approximately 6-8" of wire) was harvested from the same vehicle as the headlamps. I then crimped on "male" terminals that would fit into the existing headlamp connector shells (you could cut and splice, but with this option it can return to stock if desired). Please note 1 & L = Low Beam, 2 & G = Ground, then 3 & H = High Beam.

Hope it helps and makes sense.

$89.50/ea. PM sent (I don't like to get even close to posting in a commercial manner on the board; I don't feel like it's appropriate even if the admins are OK with it. I might be a little old-fashioned that way)

Hello all, Ive been stockpiling parts over winter this year for my 74 dart sport for a nice come back in spring! I’ve purchased some interior and engine bling bits and pieces so far and am looking for headlight recommendations. Ive purchased meaty rear tires with aggressive wheels and I’d like to try to match the aggressive look with the headlights. If there’s anything else I could buy to add to the look feel free to let me know! Thanks in advance

Here's the Daniel Stern headlight upgrade as installed. Looks as close to stock as you can get , is every bit as good as the European sedan I have as a daily driver, and was not overly expensive. The hardest part is properly aiming the lights which took me and a red seal mechanic about two hours to get right but..what a difference over stock! This was easily in the top 5 upgrades I did to my restomod Barracuda. Very highly recommend this product and the supplier Slant Six Dan who is second to none on his knowledge of headlamp systems.

dscn5639-jpg.jpg

$89.50/ea. PM sent (I don't like to get even close to posting in a commercial manner on the board; I don't feel like it's appropriate even if the admins are OK with it. I might be a little old-fashioned that way)

Old school is a good school.

I have Cibie 7" E code halogen headlamp conversions on both Vixen and Gladys. I put @crackedback's relay and harness kit on Vixen and already had one on Gladys before he started selling his. I had an 08 Jeep Wrangler. Why anyone would want those headlights is a mystery, as they were some of the crappiest new vehicle headlights I've ever seen. The Cibie E codes are not DOT approved, but neither is any LED headlight in our older cars, either, so going either way you are really not legal so keep that in mind. With all but the totally crappiest headlamps out there the biggest things to remember is getting the proper voltage and current to them and aiming them properly. @slantsixdan has a very good web site regarding headlamps, bulbs, relays and aiming. Probably the best, IMO. Just look around. There are all kinda of interesting things called FACTS regarding lighting on Dan's web site.
Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply
You beat me to it, Georgia.

Not bad, I'm not a quick on the draw as I used to be. I'm glad we both knew who to go to. Much respect sent from an old Gator, soon to return home to the Motherland.

Last edited:
Thanks Dan. I have a basic question.
What would be your first pick on a quality light (plug & play a bonus) with driving at night on dark roads at a reasonable cost to the working men?
Can you include various head light styles?
Stock appearing on up.

Thanks Dan!
I understand the reasonable cost and budget thing. I spent more with Slantsixdan than I wanted to to upgrade the lights on my dart. The first time I used them at night it was worth every penny.

-
Back