Headlight Relay Kits

-

Mojoe9955

Reaction score
I'm looking for a headlight relay kit for my Duster. Aside from the preferred source are there any others? I actually have 3 cars that need them.
Thanks

There was a thread on here a while ago about sealed headlight kits with relays. I bought one from Toyota but it is still in the box.

Last edited:
There was a thread on here a while ago about sealed headlight kits with relays. I bought one from Toyota but it is still in the box.
You bought a headlight kit with relays from Toyota, do you mind sharing a part number?

81110-60P70 is what I got. Bought direct from a Toyota dealership. 30+ bucks. Place was a brand new facility here by I-90 in Austinburg. Cleaner than some hospitals…wow.

81110-60P70 is what I got. Bought direct from a Toyota dealership. 30+ bucks. Place was a brand new facility here by I-90 in Austinburg. Cleaner than some hospitals…wow.
Thank you, that’ll be my back up if Rob can’t make one when I’m ready.

This will work in a 69 Satellite, 70 and 72 Duster?
I am installing on my 72 duster , its a pretty simple conversion for headlights , I used these on a 79 f100 , works great ,, all are the same really from those years , you can google the wiring diagram for a basic setup on how relays are wired ,

I see one plug to power it. That plugs into the driver side stock light female socket, then the new plugs go to the new headlights and the stock passenger female socket is not used?

I gave up on cracked back getting back on here and hit up @slantsixdan he has a guy that makes relay kits. They look real nice.
IMG_8386.jpeg

I see one plug to power it. That plugs into the driver side stock light female socket, then the new plugs go to the new headlights and the stock passenger female socket is not used?
That's correct as the drivers side is all that matters, the factory wiring is the same , ties in to drivers side and runs to passenger side , an it all ties thru floor dimmer switch as well for hi/low

How does this system affect the tail lights? Will they become brighter?

I made my own with a couple of $5 relays. Not very hard if your under hood wiring is in reasonable shape and not too brittle.

I made my own with a couple of $5 relays. Not very hard if your under hood wiring is in reasonable shape and not too brittle.

I also made my own, but have a relay for each filament. (4 relays)
If one relay feeds both low beams and one feeds both hi beams, then the loss of one relay takes out both lights.
Didn’t like that idea much.

Also all headlights are now 10 ga. wire including the grounds.

They do have kits that make your taillights brighter. The headlight relay will only make your headlights brighter.
It's nice to see where you are going, and just as important, is to be seen by others coming up behind you. It looks simple enough to buy the relays and try it myself, but electrical work is challenge for me at times.
I'm leaning towards the Toyota kit as it includes the headlights.

It's nice to see where you are going, and just as important, is to be seen by others coming up behind you. It looks simple enough to buy the relays and try it myself, but electrical work is challenge for me at times.
I'm leaning towards the Toyota kit as it includes the headlights.
I have the Toyota headlights but mine didn’t come with any kits. I’m not real into electrical myself.

IMG_8387.jpeg

I have Crackedbacks harness in my '69 from a couple of years ago. Not sure about the taillights, but will definitely brighten your dash lights up. Would like to do my 2 other cars, but I am not into making it up from a pile of parts.

How does this system affect the tail lights? Will they become brighter?
Only if there is a problem (resistance) with the power feed from the alternator to the main splice.

A relay is an electrically powered switch. Installing a headlight relay uses the original headlight circuits (hi & low) to connect the headlights more directly to the power supply. A circuit breaker or fuse needs to be in the new circuit.

The normal path of power to the headlights is from the alternator to the main splice to the headlight switch.
The first part of the path is shared with everything else that is drawing power. So using a relay system reduces the load on that leg of the circuit when the headlights are on and other stuff is running. Say you're driving at night in the rain. Instead of 25 to 29 amps through the R6 wire and its bulkhead connector, it will be 15 to 24 amps. The effect of resistance goes down with less load, and up with more current.

-
Back