Headlight Switch differences looking for advise.

-

V8-valiant

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Ok so I rewired my 65 Valiant with a Ron Francis wiring harness. I want to use my original headlight switch bezel and knob but there’s a couple differences. The biggest thing is that the bezel on the original is a coarse thread and the new switch is fine thread. The plunger on the old switch is shorter but I think that would be easy enough to swap. Any ideas on how to make it work?

E963CA63-C814-415B-9709-87D8D638C93D.jpeg

9EE0B99B-D254-4DA8-A2D8-1A08B24834F3.jpeg

61E496FC-4557-4AF6-A2D0-B4CB99346042.jpeg

You have the connector shell that fits the old switch? Pull the terminals out and see if the ones on the Francis harness will fit the shell. If not you can get the "Packard 56" terminal you need, but you have to be careful to get right ones

You could cut and splice the old switch connector to the new wiring harness

There is no reason to do that, and you are then left with 50 year old wire terminals. You can buy Packard 56 terminals if you look around. You don't HAVE to buy a special crimper. You can do a 'basic' crimp and then solder them.

Thanks Del, pretty cheap too, I just ordered a bunch for my rally redo. Crimper I bought from Amazon doesnt crimp as well as I was hoping(iwiss brand) and is trashing the terminals.
Wrestling with iwiss now.
Thanks Steve. Notice, OP, how these curl around the edges. This is what you want. Some of them fold over the top and back "inside" Those types will not fit most Mopar connector shells

View attachment 1715476033

I bought mine from these guys

Electrical Terminal 14-12 Gauge 1/4'' Female

-
Back