Headlight Switch/Knob Removal

-

My*65*Dart

Reaction score
How do you unhook the headlight switch knob/shaft from the switch body. I can get my hand up there and feel it but can't see it. Thanks.

This is easy once you learn the trick.

The knob does not come off, the whole knob/ shaft comes out.

Remove the battery ground, and pull the switch all the way out, to "headlights."

Reach up under and feel for "the button", push it in, wiggle it and the knob a little, and out it will come

headlampswitchknob.jpg

I did this repair this past weekend. The idea above about "the button" is correct. However, the bezel that you have to unscrew in order for the switch to come out can be tricky. On my 68 Dart, there are some knotches around the shaft that I was able to put a fine regular screwdriver into and tap it lightly counter-clockwise. Once it starts to unthread, it's easy. Don't forget to clean the female/male fittings on the wire and switch before you install. Also, test the switch before you go to the trouble of re-installing it all the way. Put the shaft into the switch outside of the dash using "the button" and test the lights, then install after everything works. Learned that one the hard way too...

I did this repair this past weekend. The idea above about "the button" is correct. However, the bezel that you have to unscrew in order for the switch to come out can be tricky. On my 68 Dart, there are some knotches around the shaft that I was able to put a fine regular screwdriver into and tap it lightly counter-clockwise. Once it starts to unthread, it's easy. Don't forget to clean the female/male fittings on the wire and switch before you install. Also, test the switch before you go to the trouble of re-installing it all the way. Put the shaft into the switch outside of the dash using "the button" and test the lights, then install after everything works. Learned that one the hard way too...

Use a pair of fine/narrow Needle Nose Pliers to grab the notches in the nut, spins out quickly and easily. Doesn't scar the nut and virtually no chance of it slipping off and screwing up the cluster bezel. That's how I remove/install them on all of my older mopars, after my dad told me that's how he removed them.

74Dusted is correct. The "star" washer underneath the knob must be unscrewed in order to remove the plactic bezel from the dash.

Thanks a bunch, guys! Pulled mine out of my 63 Dart 170, did some cleaning and filing with emery board, have functioning dimmer for dash lights again. Couldn't find anything about this in my repair manual, so you saved me a heap of time and frustration. And $20 for a new switch.

-
Back