Headlight switch replacement

-

Burban360

Reaction score
Anyone with helpful advice on removal /replacement of the headlight switch on a 68 Barracuda ? I can’t see an easy way to get to the damned thing short of removing the dash...

Anyone with helpful advice on removal /replacement of the headlight switch on a 68 Barracuda ? I can’t see an easy way to get to the damned thing short of removing the dash...

Hey Burban360,

Its actually pretty easy. On the top of the headlamp switch there is a spring loaded button. Push this down and then pull out on the headlamp switch knob. The whole shaft will come out in your hand. Then use a small screwdriver to turn the chrome plated retaining nut that goes through the instrument cluster and into the headlight switch. The headlamp switch should drop just below the dash on the driver side. If you have the new switch , check it for the location of the button I'm referring to. As well the switch has a locating tab that you must align with the cutout in the instrument cluster in order to reinstall it. This is also obvious on the new switch.

Cheers!!

See the button to the lower left of the mopar logo? Press that in/up and pull out the headlight knob. Do it carefully, then you can access the bezel retainer. Undo battery before doing this. Also get a bezel removal tool or you may gouge the dash.
HL switches are still available from parts stores.

785824f6-3d75-45bc-8ab4-9fa80fe66193_1.835f6495745c40222ac051d4f4cef838.jpeg.jpg

I used small needle nose pliers for the nut. Worked like a charm. Take your time. Also undid fuse box and had more room to switch. 70 Dart don’t know if yours is the same, good luck!

New switch is built for multiple models so it will have a extra terminal for a chassis ground wire that your car doesn't have. Adding a ground wire isn't necessary but couldn't hurt either.

Thanks for the advice everyone! Now, if I could only make my hands smaller and fingers longer...:(

Thanks for the advice everyone! Now, if I could only make my hands smaller and fingers longer...:(
One screw holds the fuse box in place,,, remove it. Lift the box up out of its bracket. It will move away to provide more access to the headlight switch.

I am reviving an old thread. The other day my 1966 dart switch knob pulled right out when I tried to turn the lights on and now it won’t go back in when I push the button.

-
Back