Headlight wiring

-

straightlinespeed

Sometimes I pretend to be normal
Reaction score
I've searched the net and searched my manuals and cant find a good clear answer. On my 71 scamp. I am trying to wire up the headlight plugs, I have a Red wire, Violet wire and Black wire. Im not sure which wire is the high beam and which is the low beam. Or as your looking at the back of the sealed beam headlamp, which is which? Can you guys help me out. Thanks

This should have been easy to figure out. Just look at the wiring diagram. You can download manuals here:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?p=1970088617

First, look in the instrument panel wiring and discover which dimmer switch wire branches off to feed up to the HIGH BEAM INDICATOR on the dash

This gives you the wire no and wire color, and so the matching one out at the headlight plug is your high beam

The ground is marked

And that, my friend, is exactly what these manuals are for

In the 71 manual for download, this manual is one where the pages are consecutive, so you must play with page numbers. The electrical index is page 368

They show page 160-161 is for the Valiant, but this is EIGHT dash 160, (8-160) on the paper, but in your viewer this will be page 381

Find the dimmer, "look it's marked!!" L3-18R is the high beam, L4-18V is the low beam

Now all we need is the front end lighting diagram, and whoops!!! it's not IN the 71 Chassis manual, so let's go have a look at the 71 BODY manual

This time it's chapter 5, body electrical, but we must once again play with page numbers. This time we go to page 135, which is the index. We see front end lighting for the Dart is page 5-46, and that ends up being page no 138, and there you are.........The red L3 wire, and they show you the black ground wire

I'll send you the bill. My consulting fees are 125.00 per hour, with a one hour minimum plus excise taxes.

Attachments

• dimmer.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 138
  • headlight.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 141
I'll send you the bill. My consulting fees are 125.00 per hour, with a one hour minimum plus excise taxes.

Ouch, Well I suppose the checks in the mail LOL. Thanks Del for your input, I have a hell of a time reading those schematics and never thought to look in the body manual because I didnt think they had electrical in that one. Guess from now on I will open that manual also. I do have to say that having the actual manuals here at home is awesome. They were well worth the investment. Now, just to learn to use them correctly and learn to read schematics!

Red is high, Violet is low, black is ground

Thank you very much!

-
Back