headlights always on?

-

MrBelvedere2

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Here is a weird question. I went outside to work on my car(1967 barracuda) after driving home from work, and i noticed the headlights were on. the headlight switch was not on nor were the keys in it. I figure the headlight switch might of gone out, I pulled the switch out disconnected it and reconnected the battery and the headlights still come on! Any advice on what to check, seems there is a short somewhere but I can't really seem to find it. any advice would be great, thanks! this problem just started yesterday.

turn signal switch has nothing to do with the headlights.

clean the bulkhead conector.

Look at the bulkhead connector. One of the headlight wires is right next to the fusible link feed coming from the starter relay. If you have started to melt the connectors they could be touching.

Definately a short circuit. If you didn't notice a melt down at the headlight switches harness connecter, bulk head connections would be the next suspect.

I would check the bulkhead where it plugs in at. I would look to see if the wires had rubbed a bare place. The other thing would be melted insulation
from it getting hot. Just an opinion.

after looking at it more today, i am finding melted wires, and some of the connector melted as well. the big red wire where the fusible link is melted, and broke the blade off when i pulled it out. Anyone got a new harness? :(

-
Back