Headlights flash on and off

-

69cudaownr

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
My headlights will shut off while driving after about 15 minutes or so then they will turn on and off as if I am flashing oncoming drivers. The parking lamps are not affected. And to add to the situation it only happens while driving??? They won't cut out if I just turn the lights on while it sits in the garage. I am guessing the switch itself or where the wires connect at the the firewall. Suggestions?

My '69 Charger would do the same thing. Turns out the harness male-female plug had a bad connection. It actually came loose. Could also be a short in the headlite switch.

I haven't been playing with Mopars long enough to be sure it's the same, but I once had a bad dimmer switch do that to me in a Brand X beater truck at unsafe speeds on a gravel road.

my dart would do it and it was the headlight switch. find out fast what it is. thatr crap can cause a fire.

I had a 73 challenger that did the same and I changed out the dimmer switch
and I never had it happen again.

My beater s10 does it now on high beam only. Took it to the shop & they wanted 200 bucks to replace a relay or some crap. So now I just dont use high beams in the beater.

Hello,

A lot of the older cars had a circuit breaker built inside of the headlight switch for safety reasons. It was common for them to deteriorate and in doing so they would go off, cool down, and come back on. Changed a lot of them when I worked at the dealer for that problem

Don’t overlook the headlight switch.

I forgot to mention I had changed out the dimmer switch already. i have a new headlamp switch and that is what I will start with . Thanks for your help.

If the headlight switch fixed your problem it was probally just age.
If you are running stronger than factory headlamps you will have the same problem again in the future.

I did post this in another related topic but:

I have a '66 with the same problem; I have already replaced the dimmer and headlight switch.

HELP PLEASE

good to know, my duster just started doing this exact thing.

Phil

Thanks FABO

-
Back