Headliner install with glass in???

-

Hyper Henry

Reaction score
Looking to get a new headliner and vinyl top installed on my 68 Barracuda notchback and both places I have called so far say the glass needs to come out. Is this true or can the headliner be installed with the glass in :dontknow: Also I thought I remember hearing that they are not repopping the rubber trim for the glass. If that's the case then what the heck do I do ](*,)

Thanks
Derrick

I have done the headliners with the glass in...it isn't the easy way to do it but it can be done,start off marking the centerline of the headliner front and rear, then put the bows thru the headliner and hanging it in the car. hook the wires to the rearmost bow and stretch the headliner forward making a mark where it needs to be then unhook the wires and using very clean putty knife wrapped in tape to keep it fron cutting the headliner and clean paint mixing sticks to hold the rubber windshield seal out of the way....starting in the center and moving from side to side working your way to the outer edges carefully....if you can get a patient helper then do so and removing the front and rear seats will give you more room. after you get the leading edge done rehook the wires to the rearmost bow to check your progress, now that you are this far if it seems to be stretched tight enough then you can move onto the next step...more on this in a day or so.....feel free to pm me if you have any questions but would be best to post them in this thread and we can all do it...heres some pic's of redhot's valiant.I did the seat,headliner,carpeting and the paintjob in my backyard..i did not have help with the headliner or the seats I did have some help on the paintjob and reassembling the car......Wagg's

Attachments

• IM000004.JPG
    146 KB · Views: 437
  • IM000005.JPG
    169.7 KB · Views: 364
  • IM000006.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 323
  • IM000002.JPG
    204.8 KB · Views: 308
If your gaskets arn't dry rotted a good glass company can remove them with no problem. I have put several headliners in but never with the glass in. Not saying it cant be done but removing the glass will be a better job.

Hey! Dick McGuire just bought that Valaint in Florida and had it shipped back home to P.A. He stopped by and told me about it before it got here. He had Mike Flynn Transport bring it home for him.

when doing the front you may find it better to get the headliner stretched side to side in the place it goes and using a grease pencil to mark it along the windshield rubber then removing all of the bows and then bunching it up towards the windshield so you can get the headliner hooked onto the stay's (them jagged lookin things under the rubber) after you get it all hooked on the stays but your bows back into place and rehook the lockwires on the rearmost bow.....now is a good time to roll up all the windows roll the car out into the sun and let it start relaxing the wrinkles of the headliner from being folded up for a few days so now with that being done i's beer thirty, have a cold one your one large step closer 8-)

that was the first headliner I ever installed and the fourth set of seat covers how does he like the paint work? I was sad to see that car sold....redhots daughter was gittin married so he needed the funds and the story got even sadder from there =(
Hey! Dick McGuire just bought that Valaint in Florida and had it shipped back home to P.A. He stopped by and told me about it before it got here. He had Mike Flynn Transport bring it home for him.

that was the first headliner I ever installed and the fourth set of seat covers how does he like the paint work? I was sad to see that car sold....redhots daughter was gittin married so he needed the funds and the story got even sadder from there =(
I saw it on the transport trailer when it made it here and it was filthy so I couldn't say and havn't seen it up close yet. All I know is he is going to take the wheels off and put painted ones on with blackwalls. I know he took alot less for it then he was asking...I think Dick paid 5k for it.

You can use those black metal spring clips that you use to hold papers together. That's what I did when I recently helped out a friend of mine and installed his headliner in his 70' Chevelle. I needed about 60 - 80 clips to be able to clip the headliner all the way around. Did it with the glass in. Came out great.

If the vinyl top is still on the car and/or yje windows have never been resealed you may have issues like rust you've not yet seen.
You may not have water leaks now but in peeling the gaskets this way and that way installing a headliner and a top you might cause a water leak.
My 67 notch back had a very slight water leak at the bottom of the rear glass into the trunk, and the headliner had water stain above the sun visors meaning the headliner was wicking water at the windshield gasket.
You probably will need to replace some of the steel and plastic trim clips.
Then how old is your windshield or how clear is it ?
I wont say the way I did it is the best way but ... I did this for myself and the future owner of the car ( grand daughter ).
I accumulated parts for a very long time. I did it all and did it right.
Removed the dash and resealed the cowl ( vent boxes and wiper pivots ) Shiny new windshield too. Yes it was a LOT of work but well worth it in the end.

-
Back