Headliner install?

-

moparlee

64 Valiant
Reaction score
I'm wondering how hard or easy it would be to put a 5 bow headliner in my car. 64 Valiant two door post car. Is there special tools for getting the sides and front and back up in those hooks? Does it need to be glued also? Thanks for your time.

Lee

There`s no special tools really and you probably will have to glue the edges. Mopar Muscle Magazine has an article on installing headliners this month, you may want to check it out.

I put the headliner in my 69 and it really wasn't very difficult and it turned out perfect. Let it sit in the sun for a while prior to installing.
Rod

Ditto on rklein`s advice, I installed mine in the dead of winter and had to use a hair dryer to remove all the wrinkles(fold lines).

The new Mopar Muscle magazine, has an article on headliner installation. It is quite good.Oops, sorry John, I actually just read your reply THOROUGHLY.

I put one in my car.

It looks like the owner installed it,
instead of a Professional. :(

To do it over, I would pay for it to be done.

Oh; the rear window should be removed, as the headliner goes under the
rear rubber gasket of the windshield.

The rear seat needs to come out,
the rear arm rests need to come off, to allow the upper part of the rear seat
to be removed.

I suggest replacing the rear seat divider, and package tray cover,
if they need it at the same time.

I added sound deadner when I did mine, to the floor, and rear package tray.

2549headliner_project_64_Valiant_025-med.jpg

i did my 68 val headliner. not too hard. make sure to lay the bows out in order so they don't get mixed up and never trim until you're satisfied the fit is correct,just like carpet. good luck and take your time.

Caveman, did you put that same stuff on the roof too? I bought some for some insulation for the top?

Lee

I bought what looks what you used for the package tray. I bought it at Home Depot I do believe goes around ducking and with one side that is sticky.

Lee

I put mine in my 66 wagon and I will NEVER do anuther one!!!...Altho, it wuz much cheeper than have'in a STRESS TEST dun a tha hospitol!!!(actually several stress test before it wuz in)...I got one from JCWitney...It wuz good quality, purfekt fit(had to give them the measurments when order'in) and cheeper than I could buy the material, and sew it myself...A few things to make it go easier would be 10 hands, 2 sweat wipers, and sumone to stand outside and cuss for ya so U kan keep work'in!!!!!....NEVER AGIN!!!

I'll probablly look back one day and reelize how much fun it reely wuz!!!!

NOTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In have an original 1965 Plymouth dealears shop repair manual and it has everything in it.It even has how to install the headliner in the early A body cars.Looks like a pain in the butt to me.Good luck.

Hey I couldn't talk you out of coping the headliner deal out and emailing it to me? Thanks for your time.

Lee

Ok, I'm finially getting ready to do this. I'm needing to know how you did the sail panel area for those that have done one in an early A? I'm thinking that the Darts are the same way on the sail panels in the back. Are they glued to the car then you glue the headlinger to the sail panel board then you strech and hook it to the then prongs in the car? Thanks in advance.

Lee

moparlee said:
Ok, I'm finially getting ready to do this. I'm needing to know how you did the sail panel area for those that have done one in an early A? I'm thinking that the Darts are the same way on the sail panels in the back. Are they glued to the car then you glue the headlinger to the sail panel board then you strech and hook it to the then prongs in the car? Thanks in advance.

Lee

My 1964 Valiant Signet does not use sail panels,
which is what made the job such a bitchh.

I will pay somebody to do the job the next time, as it looks like
somebody did it at home, not a professional. :(

Did you buy your headliner yet? How many bows does the old one have?

cavemanmoron said:
My 1964 Valiant Signet does not use sail panels,
which is what made the job such a bitchh. Did you buy your headliner yet? How many bows does the old one have?

My headliner has 5 bows. I didn't have the lights back in that area either, but behind the headliner mine had cardboard. My 64 four door Dart has them also. It is a 6 bow headliner. My 65 cuda that I have, it has a 4 bow headliner in it. Ya I bought my headliner from Dante's Mopar parts.

Lee

my 64 Valiant had cardboard behind the headliner in the "sail panel"
area, but they are not seperate sail panels.

I did the headliner in my 68 Barracuda coupe and that was the one thing I wish I had paid some one to do.

Contrary to what everyone told me about the wrinkles coming out after sitting in the sun they all didn't. Mine was much much better than the picture Cavemanmoron posted but I am not real happy with it.

I purchased the nice rounded tool that allows you to tuck the liner under the window gaskets in the front and rear and the "special" headliner glue. The glue was useless, I used 3M Spray Contact Adhesive. I also picked up a 1/2 dozen spring clamps to hold it along the sides while the glue dryed.

cavemanmoron said:
my 64 Valiant had cardboard behind the headliner in the "sail panel"
area, but they are not seperate sail panels.

Mine were like that also.

Lee

I've spent the last couple of days on it over the weekend. I'm going to post pictures when I get it finished. It's not perfect by no means, but I just don't have the money to pay someone to do it for me.

Lee

-
Back