Headliner Installation "Complications" '65 Formula S

-

dibbons

Reaction score
Having work done in Mexico has its advantages/disadvantages:

Arranged to have the upholstery guy come to the house and install the headliner in the '65 Formula S under "my guiding eye" (although I don't know that much about headliners). He came over, but I had mixed up the headliner bows and we had to abort the installation. Then he asked me to take the vehicle over to his shop at 9:00 AM Monday morning, which I did, this time with the bows in the correct order. However, he did not start the installation right then, so I went home. When I returned, he had it almost finished (I believe he wanted to perform the installation without me present, but I'm not sure).

Weird stuff I found?

It looks like he bent over every sharks tooth on all four sides and I don't know how much glue if any, he used under the teeth. I don't believe one is supposed to do that.

He did not install the visors at all. In not doing so before pulling both front corners taught, I believe the fabric will be in jeopardy when I try to push against the taught fabric looking for the holes or while finally screwing the visors in. The courtesy light housings in the sail panels were not installed, nor were the pair of coat hanger hooks (I believe I can install those items myself without further damage to the headliner).

There are some wrinkles here and there, (not too bad) and I don't blame him for that after having stored the headliner folded in the box for the last two or three years. I left him my hair dryer in the trunk to make an effort at removing some of the wrinkling, but he did not attempt that at all (I guess I can do it later, if need be).

The good news is he charged me $1,800.00 Mexican Pesos (about $90.00 USD) which is not too bad considering I read here in another forum thread that a brother FABO member had paid someone in the USA $600.00. The other good news is I can finally install the window glass.

Last edited:
Does anyone have photos of the naked visor holes in the roof? I am looking through my own restoration photos and so far can't seem to locate a shot of that corner area (thank you).

I did my own and as just what you descibed, this guy is a chevy guy// he's a "PRO" ??!!
NOsteamer/bent the teeth ??

visors are easy they are holes that are recessed and can only go in one way//I did mine wrinkle free

BOY I should get in this business...
69 fb headliner
2018-04-23-headliner-002-jpg.jpg

the sunvisor hole is by the 1st plastic sqeegee/key hole slot with 3 surounding screw /this is a 69 how ever they should be close

-
Back