Headliner question

-

ESP47

Reaction score
I'm going to have both front and back glass removed from my 67 Cuda to swap over to the 68 trim. While doing this I'm trying to decide when the best time will be to do the headliner.

Luckily the glass shop is in my neighborhood so I can just drive it back home without a windshield to complete the work.

I decided I'm just going to have the headliner done by a professional. I still need to call them up but I doubt they'll come to my house to install the headliner while the glass is out.

I'm guessing upholstery guys have special tools to where they can install the headliner whether the windshield is in or not. So would you guys have them install the headliner before or after I get new glass and seals installed?

Do it while the glass is out, And the only tools you need to install a headliner is glue and sissors. Easy to do and there are videos on youtube to watch.

I have also learned that no headliner compairs to the headliners from Legendary Auto Interiors, Period. And believe me I found out the hard way and lots of money later.

I'll be damned, that looks a little easier than I thought and the money saved will be nice since it's going to cost a fortune to go from 67 to 68 windshield trim. I might as well just give it a shot, thanks guys.

Any real difference in the Legendary perforated headliner and the OEM perforated headliner? Looks like OEM is about $80 more. Is it better quality or does it just look a little closer to stock?

I helped a friend install a Legendary headliner in his '66 Coronet. There was a little trimming to do where the bows insert into their sleeves. Other than that, we used spray adhesive on a few places and lots of little clamps to keep it where we wanted it until satisfied with the fit. I don't have pics, but it turned out perfectly, and neither one of us had any previous experience installing a headliner. If you do it yourself, set up a table on saw horses or something and let the headliner relax in the sun. It will be a lot nicer finish. Once you get it all clamped in place, then work out any wrinkles.

I'll be damned, that looks a little easier than I thought and the money saved will be nice since it's going to cost a fortune to go from 67 to 68 windshield trim. I might as well just give it a shot, thanks guys.

Any real difference in the Legendary perforated headliner and the OEM perforated headliner? Looks like OEM is about $80 more. Is it better quality or does it just look a little closer to stock?
I didnt go with the OEM style, The lady told me on the phone if im not going for the concours restoration no one will know the difference. My headliner was made the day they shipped it. I live in PA and Legendarys is in NY, I had no issus with wrinkles.

Thanks guys I'll give it a shot and I already have a couple legendary samples on the way! If I can't do it then no harm no foul, I was going to pay anyway.

Definitely do it with windows out put it in the sun before you do it if it is not sunny have a heat gun handy and take your time.

67 notch back... The coat hooks are likely located right above where the side glasses meet.. If it was a 68 up the shoulder belt anchors would be in that location and the coat hooks would be moved back about 3 inches. If you think you would ever want 3 point belts in the front, install the roof anchors now. Relocate the coat hooks ( I deleted the coat hooks in mine ).
Know where the dome lamp screw holes and wiring is located. Wrong holes poked in the headliner from hunting those screw holes will always be there. Thing is... you can feel around and find the holes where the visors and mirror mount. The dome lamp screw holes aren't as easy to find. As for the mirror and visors , you will want to put the screws in the holes to help hold the liner at least while the glue dries but dont install those parts because they will only be in the way of installing the windshield.
Throw a couple of hubcaps over the rear seat to floor anchors. Old blankets folded in layers over the hubcaps. Those anchors will eat your knees.
There are 2 tension wires that hold the rear most bow in place so you can pull the head liner forward without moving that bow. Those 2 wires will poke holes threw the bow sleeve to capture the bow. I went to a lot of trouble measuring and placing those tension wires only to go back later and repostion them anyway.
You might go ahead and tow those wires inward a little so they will allow the liner to spead left and right since they wont rip the sleeve fabric.
The 68 window gaskets and reveal mouldings will show you things about your 67 that you've probably never noticed before but installing thos parts is a different topic so...
Hope this helps and good luck with it.

Thanks, this is a fastback but I'm sure things are going to be pretty similar. Good idea with the seatbelt anchor. I'll have to see about that for sure once the headliner is out. Do they reproduce those or do I need to buy a used one that someone cut out of a parts car?

Redfish, you have me curious when you say that I'm going to see things about my 67 that I've probably never noticed when it comes to the glass. Can you elaborate on this? I was planning on installing the windshield clips per the instructions that I found on here. Then I figured I'd get the seals from steele rubber and take everything down to the glass shop and have it installed. Am I going to run into trouble here?

Thanks, this is a fastback but I'm sure things are going to be pretty similar. Good idea with the seatbelt anchor. I'll have to see about that for sure once the headliner is out. Do they reproduce those or do I need to buy a used one that someone cut out of a parts car?

Redfish, you have me curious when you say that I'm going to see things about my 67 that I've probably never noticed when it comes to the glass. Can you elaborate on this? I was planning on installing the windshield clips per the instructions that I found on here. Then I figured I'd get the seals from steele rubber and take everything down to the glass shop and have it installed. Am I going to run into trouble here?

There are 4 places where the body work on a typical 67 isn't nearly as perfect as the stainless reveal moudings call for. If the filler is low the moulding shows it. If the filler is too high it could be a more serious issue.
If you already have the mouldings I suggest you check the body lines to them. Be careful though as they will scratch paint.
Getting the inside of the gaskets to lay in on the headliner and not show those little teeth underneath has been an issue for some as well.
I dont know that the fence on the 67 might be a little tall or what that measurement should be exactly. I know for the fence to be a little short cant hurt anything. Would I trim a 1/16 or more off the fence all the way around ? In a heartbeat.
All I'm saying is... I've pulled stock glass and gaskets from a 68 and put them on the 67 three times. First was in late 1980s. Most recently the 2 cars were parked side by side the entire time. I found the fit and finish from one body to the other wasn't the same. The small differences in the 67 body were never noticed before the 68 parts were put on it. There is/was a lot more forgiveness in the 67 gasket design. Others have reported the same discovery right here at FABO.

As for the shoulder belt anchors.. I think some aftermarket vendors offer something to put there. I had a local fab shop make them.

Another good tip on installing the headliner, is to put all the screws in (dome light, coat hook, rear view mirror, sun visers etc) and screw them in as far as they can go (BE CAREFUL NOT TO HIT THE ROOFSKIN ON THE CAR) and then install the headliner like posted above and then locating the screws afterward will be super easy once the headliner is installed. Trying to find the holes when not doing this method can be a real PITA.

Hope this helps

Another good tip on installing the headliner is to put all the screws in (dome light, coat hook, rear view mirror, sun visers etc) and screw them in as far as they can go (BE CAREFUL NOT TO HIT THE ROOFSKIN ON THE CAR) and then install the headliner like posted above and then locating the screws will be super easy once the headliner is installed. Trying to find the holes when not doing this method can be a real PITA.

Hope this helps
I was going to mention this, Its how I do it. No poking around for the screw holes.

on a fastback, after the headliner is in. what covers up the little spikes, that the headliner attaches to in the rear. is there some kind of trim? any pics?

We are freshening up our 1970 Dart. The bow style head liner came by mail. I took out the old dry rotten torn head liner out and have the other in. It was the FIRST BOW type install I have done so I did take my time on it. Next one will be easier and faster cause we have several to do.
Everything is pulled tight the dome light back in all I have to complete is the back window trim and trim around doors.

NO DID NOT TAKE WINDOWS OUT.

The only hard part to the back trim is the trim that is going in is hard plastic and not flexible. Draginmopars suggested to warm it to make it flexible so that we do today.

I don't see anything hard about putting one in at all. For me it was my first one and a learning experience and I found a lot of short cuts along the way. The most difficult part is so far is the starting of the back trim and I ONLY spent five min on it last night before coming in to make dinner for my guy. AND this is ONE set of hands mine so its doable with being a one person job. Ya gotta think about it if you wreck the glass you got how easy is it to find another one?? By the time you fool with taking the glass out you can have the headliner in!!

We have photos of the headliner project, that I will post later now getting ready to get another project on the car started. The only thing I didn't like about doing the headliner is missing out on other parts of the car project that he is getting to do while I do the headliner. He is a creative mechanical genius, an artist like me.

As the above post stated the back trim was hard plastic and there fore he warmed on the heater for me before I got started. It did help. I didn't get to spend a lot of time last evening I just got to the trim part and it was time to cook dinner. Today I had that famous moment DUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
and another DUH !!!!!!!!!!!!!
I tried it in a corner and thought this will be difficult. I looked at it a second and then.... DUH then decided to start in center and no problem being warm and starting at an easier point to start it went in fast. Therefor there is NOT one thing hard about putting in a head liner. Try it you'll like it lol and save a lot of money as well. Don't waste time taking windows in and out just do it and it will work fine.
The first time just like for me you may want to slow your process down till you see how it is and next time it will be like nothing to it.

while I did this he was working hard getting the drive shaft in which now is done.

-
Back