Headliner woes

-

GDL

Reaction score
Ok, so the wife's swinger dart has a cardboard headliner (1972 car built in 71). Our headliner is old, still passable but she wants a better one.

Does anyone sell one?

And if not is there a parts list for a conversion to a cloth headliner with bows?

Thanks for the help!

You can have the "cloth" on the card board headliner replaced. The auto glass place I used to work at would do this kind of replacement. We did upholstery as well. I didn't do it myself but would watch it be done on a lot of late model cars and trucks. They would strip the old off, remove the foam material by sanding it off the card board , and replace it with a foam backed cloth, glued on with contact cement. Different colors are available. Most likely cheaper having that done compared to bows, etc...

There's an ABS reproduction available. I have one on my Duster, but they make them for Dart's as well. I recommend getting the uncovered ones, because then you can trim the headliner to fit better. I ordered mine with the 1/4" foam and tier backed vinyl, but the vinyl separated because of cheap glue and I had to reglue it. No issues since then though. So you can either leave it uncovered and just have the ABS texture, or cover it yourself with better material and glue so it doesn't de-laminate. They're pretty expensive, but they should last pretty much forever.

This is the unlined version, usually they have them in stock but it looks like they're a few weeks out at the moment
Amazon.com: Acme AFH35-Uncovered ABS Plastic Headliner Uncovered: Automotive

Ok, so the wife's swinger dart has a cardboard headliner (1972 car built in 71). Our headliner is old, still passable but she wants a better one.

Does anyone sell one?

And if not is there a parts list for a conversion to a cloth headliner with bows?

Thanks for the help!
A good friend of mine, bought a 72 Duster, off of us. It too was in need of a headliner. He remove the old one, sprayed some adhesive and laid in some real nice "in-door / out-door carpet." It really looked great, he got a lot of compliments where ever he went. Of course I made it sound like it was real easy to do, but it did require some knowledge of how to cut the material to fit and a lot of cleaning and prepping the interior of the roof.

3m makes an upholstery spray on head liner adhesive. When I worked for GM, we did a ton of them especially for the Monte Carlo's and the Buicks T-types and Grand Nationals, Le Sabers square RWD type cars. Cardboard liner and cloth cover.
I would take the headliner down, pull off the cloth, spray the adhesive on both and lay it on top and pull it tight. Let it dry in the sun for a few hours and cut off the extra. Pop it back in and it was good for another 60,000 miles.

If you dont like the cloth, go to a fabric store and buy something you do like and use that. Same process.
Joe

Hers is just the cardboard and is bowing. Sorry I should have stated that.

Hers is just the cardboard and is bowing. Sorry I should have stated that.
No issues- you never know what people have done to these cars over 40 plus years. Bowing cardboard is easy. Clean the backside and glue plastic pvc pipe to it.

-
Back