Headliner

-
Yep, the way its supposed to be done is the glass comes out and there are teeth as you stretch the headliner the teeth grab the liner. the rubber seal of the window does in fact go over the headliner.

I put one in my wife's 64 with the glass in. You need a little headliner installation tool that you use to push the headliner up under the seal and onto the little barbs using a slight twisting motion. It's a pain but you can do it. The hardest part is getting it to go on the sail panels without puckering. Her car is a driver so it didn't have to be perfect and it's not. I couldn't beat the installation price though. I got the tool from Year One a long time ago.

I put one in my wife's 64 with the glass in. You need a little headliner installation tool that you use to push the headliner up under the seal and onto the little barbs using a slight twisting motion. It's a pain but you can do it. The hardest part is getting it to go on the sail panels without puckering. Her car is a driver so it didn't have to be perfect and it's not. I couldn't beat the installation price though. I got the tool from Year One a long time ago.
Although it may be possible to do it with the glass in, I've never tried, I think it would take less time and result in a better job to take the glass out. I've done several headliners and it was always with the glass out. I'm not disagreeing that it can be done with the glass in, but I will always take the glass out.

I did on my '64. I took three evenings to get it all in. Windshield and back glass were in place. I used some harbor freight plastic clip tools and a pocket flat blade screwdriver. Like nckennyb said, mine had some light wrinkles on the sail panels, but the rest came out fairly tight. I didn't think I could do it, but in the end, I surprised myself. Just take your time, find a good point to stop and take a break, and come back with a clear mind.

Its a station wagon so I don't have sail panel issues, BUT taking the two back windows out just sounds awful.. I did my 64 Barracuda and 65 Signet with the glass out and it was very easy....
Thanks for all the tips... Keep them coming!!

My biggest fear is removing the glass. 1,breaking window and 2, the rubber gasket is hard like stone. So i have to get new window gaskets to do the headliner.my headliner is shot.

I did my 65 Barracuda myself (looks great until the sail panels...;-( ) and it was fairly easy with the windows OUT. Dont fear, the front pops out with little effort once the lock strip is removed. lube the gasket with smooth Gojo anduUse your feet in a corner and start gently pushing. Itll start popping out and just continue with force at the point where its still in the gasket...move along and have a helper catch it. The rear was even easier as there is no chance youll break that thing. Pull strip and use your legs to push top side up. Itll pop right out. Getting them in is a pain but its just a slow process, use plastic spudgers and itll suck the window right in. The lanolin in the Gojo makes the gasket rubber soft and slippery and your hands will be clean too! The headliner was tough, fingers hurt for a few days after that. Id try again with one under my belt now. Start in the middle post and work your way up and back. Just dont get the bows all biased in one direction.

The station wagon rear side window gaskets as I understand are not being reproduced so maybe see if you can do the headliner with the glass in, taking your time. That's my $.02.

Yes so I did my Barracuda, went well except sail panels..... I agree goldfish, they don't make the rear glass rubber, so I think it will just be a slow process.

Glad too see I'm not the only one that had good luck putting the headliner in.....until the sail panels. I've carefully pulled them loose and tried to get them to look better.Minimal luck on that....:) :)

-
Back