[SOLD] Headman 78500 tight tube modified for early A's

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
I built and installed them in 2003 and this summer was the first time I had ever removed them. The gaskets were the original Hedman's and they were definitely starting to make noise, hence removal. A real set of header gaskets and some new locking header bolts was all it needed.
That simple repair ended up turning into a major fabrication project. I was prompted , OK challenged to build a set of long tube headers by some of my hot rod buddies (and I use that term loosely). It took me about 4 months, a used set of Hedman Huslers, a 1 7/8 header weld up kit from Speedway and a lot of trial and error. I pulled it off without cutting the inner fenders and cleared my 727. I do not plan on doing another early A and I hope to find a 67 up to tackle next. The exhaust will surely be way less work.

Threading 1-5/8 tubes through these things is an accomplishment but 1-7/8!!? Amazing! Post up some pics so I can drool!!

Threading 1-5/8 tubes through these things is an accomplishment but 1-7/8!!? Amazing! Post up some pics so I can drool!!
Grim,
I will post some later today. I have to go to my first post-op doctors apt. today. I had L5/S1 lumbar fusion 16 days ago and they are removing the sutures today. Of course it is dumping snow outside and this will be my first venture out. Never fails!
Larry

1 7/8...
Ill show you mine if you show me yours...:) mine are G-he-ttoe!

1 7/8...
Ill show you mine if you show me yours...:) mine are G-he-ttoe!
One mans gohetto is a nother mans Park Place! Use what you got and make it work..... unless your rich.
:finga:

Attachments

• Dart Exhaust 022.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 226
  • Dart Exhaust 024.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 225
  • Dart Exhaust 023.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 227
  • Dart Exhaust 036.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 224
  • Dart Exhaust 018.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 219
  • Dart Exhaust 031.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 230
  • Dart Exhaust 002.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 211
  • Dart Exhaust 005.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 209
  • Dart Exhaust 009.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 208
  • Dart Exhaust 012.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 219
Nailed it! mine are not on the car yet but Ill mock em up on the floor ans shoot some pics. I have yet to make the #1 tube but itll drop straight down and back like yours. I took the #3 tube back and over the 5-7 tubes, and the #5 snaked between the gear and the block, its gonna get warm down there so Ill have to make a AL shield for the steering box. The passenger side looks like itll bolt up! My welds are terrible but I am planning to take them to a muffler shop and have the welds gone over, the guy owes me one. Then of course I got some old Cyclone fenderwells that just need a turn at the bottom and a collector flange...They are smallish but they are solid leak free and since im going to run an O2 sensor, I need a leak free environment.

This is what I started out with. Cut ,grind and weld 101! The crank case evac. tubes on the doner Hedman collectors, I welded O2 bungs on to both sides. If I ever want to go FI, I can see both banks, and if I ever get around a tuning dyno I can dail it in. I was not into cutting the fenderwells so like your Cyclones, I made mine fit inside. Keep on welding and you will only get better! You should stick with your first go around and see where it takes you. Save the Cyclone fenderwells for chopping up to fit as needed.....or not. depends on what your going for.
Thanks, Larry............Let see some PHOTOS!!!!

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 191
  • 003.JPG
    153.4 KB · Views: 167
  • 002.JPG
    150.4 KB · Views: 179
Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back