Heads for mild 360 build

-
@ 318willrun. I've learned a lot from you, as well all of the other guys on here. You have a great knowledge of the 318. I thank you all for everything.

STP...... standard temp and pressure.
The SAE J607 correction
Net observed power corrected to what you’d get at 60* air temp, 29.92’ baro, and zero humidity.

This is the “corrected” power from the dyno you see in magazines, etc.

At 5700’, you’re quite far from those weather conditions, so the motor will make considerably less power.

So, if you’re driving around at 5700’, and want to experience an actual 350hp....... the STP(dyno) hp will need to be quite a bit more.

D3D4ADB2-D417-4F5B-8D9A-339A0CBEAF68.png

Last edited:
STP...... standard temp and pressure.
The SAE J607 correction
Net observed power corrected to what you’d get at 60* air temp, 29.92’ baro, and zero humidity.

This is the “corrected” power from the dyno you see in magazines, etc.

At 5700’, you’re quite far from those weather conditions, so the motor will make considerably less power.
Thank you. I have tuned cars in Colorado, and yes there is a substantial loss of power in that altitude.

My 360 in the Duster in my avatar pic is 9:1 with heavily ported Edelbrock heads (stock 5.9L Mag short block) and it has no shortage of low-end torque (and makes power to 6k rpm). I just made sure to get a custom-grind cam (Racer Brown) that took the high altitude into consideration. I'm also in CO so I know the struggle trying to make decent N/A power and not being smoked by stock turbo 4-banger cars. Of course the 2600 rpm stall converter and recently installed 3.55 gears help immensely in my car.

The concerns about torque loss due to lower cylinder pressures are valid but it's not quite as bad as some think especially those who haven't driven built Mopars up here in thin air.

My 360 in the Duster in my avatar pic is 9:1 with heavily ported Edelbrock heads (stock 5.9L Mag short block) and it has no shortage of low-end torque (and makes power to 6k rpm). I just made sure to get a custom-grind cam (Racer Brown) that took the high altitude into consideration. I'm also in CO so I know the struggle trying to make decent N/A power and not being smoked by stock turbo 4-banger cars. Of course the 2600 rpm stall converter and recently installed 3.55 gears help immensely in my car.

The concerns about torque loss due to lower cylinder pressures are valid but it's not quite as bad as some think especially those who haven't driven built Mopars up here in thin air.
Well, now. Loveland, Colo. Familiar area for me :) I put a 318 with 360 heads, MP .474 cam and 600 DP in my brothers '72 Demon. Beat a late 90's or early 2000's vette, whatever that means... LOL. I've ran around Loveland a lot. I used to live in Wellington in my young'n years. This is before the explosion of population, when Ft. Collins was 75k and Loveland about 30k ??

Hello everyone. I’m sure this question has been answered numerous times. I’ve spent quite some time reading through most forums, not only on FABO. I can’t seem to find a definite answer. Many people say conflicting things. With that being said..

I have a 73 dart sport H code. 340 long gone, but it has a 1971 360. The first year for the 360. I have heard these may be the most desirable 360 blocks because they are stronger. Not sure if this is true. I have also heard that 2.02 intake heads for 360’s, are overkill. Some people say they are worth it, others say there is not enough performance under 5,500 rpm to justify the cost. Is this true?

I’m looking to build a mild to moderate 360 build soon. Has an aftermarket cam(unsure what it is because previous owner installed it) new airgap intake, stock (J) heads to that 360, headers, 650 cfm carb. Couple other things. Looking for around 350+ when it’s put together. I want it to be a nice daily street car that can also whoop most cars on the street

My question is, what heads would you recommend for my situation. And even new camshaft and valvetrain possibly.

Sorry if this same question has been answered, but I cannot find it. Thank you.
IF you want to" WHOOP most cars on the street", you will need to heavily port the J's or aftermarket heads, dump the aftermarket cam most likely and get something in the high 230' to 250's @.050 range 500+ lift cam. Adjustable rocker, 650cfm is small 750 min cfm carb, must port match the intake to heads, 10 to 1 min cr. Higher stall converter 3,000 + and 3.55 gear or 3.91. Great right? then MAYBE you can beat most of the C6/7/8 vetts, LS3 camaros, mustangs, SRT's etc... BUT wait you said daily street car, ... Then stroke it, you can go milder on the CR 9.5 to 1 , stay in the smaller cam grinds and stay at 3.55 gear and still have a shot at "whoop most cars on the street", MAYBE, and be able to live with it as a daily driver... P.S. there are also a lot of fast imports that will be gunning for you!

think'n of Colorado.....
In Loveland...... :)
I personally beat a '87 Iroc-Z 350TPI camaro with a '72 Demon (a friends car) with a 318 2bbl/2.76 gears... Tried dead take off till about 80 mph, then a 30 mph roll, and each time i ended up a little ahead :D

350+ hp

change my numbers from 400/500 to 350/440ish for altitude

Thought I saw 400 in there somewhere.

think'n of Colorado.....
In Loveland...... :)
I personally beat a '87 Iroc-Z 350TPI camaro with a '72 Demon (a friends car) with a 318 2bbl/2.76 gears... Tried dead take off till about 80 mph, then a 30 mph roll, and each time i ended up a little ahead :D
My dad had a 71 barracuda with a 318 in 1984. He lived in windsor, and he did just about every little trick you could do to that engine, and he would beat 340 cars and many GM cars. Maybe the other racers didn't quite know how to launch, but that 318 ran like crazy.... as im told.

Hello everyone. I’m sure this question has been answered numerous times. I’ve spent quite some time reading through most forums, not only on FABO. I can’t seem to find a definite answer. Many people say conflicting things. With that being said..

I have a 73 dart sport H code. 340 long gone, but it has a 1971 360. The first year for the 360. I have heard these may be the most desirable 360 blocks because they are stronger. Not sure if this is true. I have also heard that 2.02 intake heads for 360’s, are overkill. Some people say they are worth it, others say there is not enough performance under 5,500 rpm to justify the cost. Is this true?

I’m looking to build a mild to moderate 360 build soon. Has an aftermarket cam(unsure what it is because previous owner installed it) new airgap intake, stock (J) heads to that 360, headers, 650 cfm carb. Couple other things. Looking for around 350+ when it’s put together. I want it to be a nice daily street car that can also whoop most cars on the street

My question is, what heads would you recommend for my situation. And even new camshaft and valvetrain possibly.

Sorry if this same question has been answered, but I cannot find it. Thank you.
If you have a builder, they can do that all for you. I have a 360 that has 400hp and my daily driver. RV cam, 500cfm Holley, racing valve springs, and so on. If you live in the LA area, I can give you my builders number. Remember, very important to blueprint and balance the engine.

I have 2.02s on my 426 SB setup. My recommendation is to give a call to the hughes engines guys and tell them what you want to accomplish and what budget you have for this engine. they should be able to help and guide you. These guys are mopar engine experts and have all you need in one source.

Well, now. Loveland, Colo. Familiar area for me :) I put a 318 with 360 heads, MP .474 cam and 600 DP in my brothers '72 Demon. Beat a late 90's or early 2000's vette, whatever that means... LOL. I've ran around Loveland a lot. I used to live in Wellington in my young'n years. This is before the explosion of population, when Ft. Collins was 75k and Loveland about 30k ??

Yeah I bet it was a great place to be back then. Now Ft Collins is like 200k population and growing, it sucks. Loveland is probably at least double what it used to be. I bet if you visited now you'd have a hard time recognizing FoCo.

Car scene is still a joke though lol just dumb kids and country boys racing diesel trucks and clapped-out Subarus up and down College Ave.

Yeah I bet it was a great place to be back then. Now Ft Collins is like 200k population and growing, it sucks. Loveland is probably at least double what it used to be. I bet if you visited now you'd have a hard time recognizing FoCo.

Car scene is still a joke though lol just dumb kids and country boys racing diesel trucks and clapped-out Subarus up and down College Ave.
It used to be a 10 mile gap between Ft. Collins and Loveland on the single highway. The last time I was out there, the two cities have almost grown together. And when I lived in Wellington, there was about 1100 population I believe ??? Now they built the Budweiser plant there and I guess there is like 5k+ there or something. But that whole Eastern range has boomed in number, a lot of Cali moving there. I still have a nephew in Loveland and a Sis-in-law in Colo Springs. But all the rest of my relatives have left Colorado.

Being that I go to csu in Fort Collins I can definitely agree. I have a hemi awd charger and everyone else has some goofy automobiles. Sometime some cool classics down college.

-
Back