Heads on 318

-

Pirate duster

Reaction score
The casting number on the heads of my 318 are 3715873
I don't know what heads those are and can't anything on the web.
Can anyone help me out

I think you need to take another look at the heads. The casting number you have isn't in any of the books I have on hand. Make sure of the casting number and see if you can get the casting date as well.

Bill S.

i seen something about 671 number for some magnum heads and read up on edelbrock cast iron magnum heads. Said that the intake bolts bolt in vertically which mine do and has 2 different sizes of bolts which mine does. but the puzzling thing is, the heads are supposed to have 10 holes for valve cover bolts which im unsure of. i havent looked at the motor myself in awhile. my brother is doing all the work at a tech school. so he is supposed to find that out for me. I just bought the car about 6 months ago and all i did was pretty much get it to fire up and got it home. didnt mess with it until he wanted a project at school so i yanked the motor and tranny. he has minimal experience with motors but his teacher is supervising everything. Ill have the motor back in a week or so and then ill check everything out for myself i guess. i have some experience with motors but i have pretty good guidance from my buddies and everyone on this forum. thanks for your input.

Alright finally got a good number. Looks like 360 heads on there and have been worked over recently. I guess now its time to get my compression. With the heads having some work done I'm praying I got descent compression. Stock 360 heads will bring it down so with a descent cam, intake, and carb do u guys think I'll have good compression

1. Edelbrock doesn't make cast iron heads.

2. Magnum heads are the same for a 318 or a 360

3. find out what exact head you have since I am reading this and I am covince that you do not know exactly what you have.

4. To gain a high comp. ratio 318, use the KB piston design to get a zero deck height application and have the mahine shop deck the block if need be to achieve a zero deck height for the piston.

5. From there, a conversion worth something can take place since everything else is just bench talkin.

Lastly, yes, you are right, a large cam kills copresion and no, i think the compresion would suck balls if you did what I think your about to do with what you think/say you have.

DO YOUR HOMEWORK FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The work is done. I'm trying to figure out what the builder did and how I can improve. And if u aren't convinced, my casting number on heads are 3671587. Along with that I have edelbrok performer intake edelbrok 1406 carb, headman headers, bored .040 for 3.950. Like I said I'm still learning but have some knowledge.

I gotta get that and my cam and then I'll really know what I'm working with? What do u think ideal cam would be?

I gotta get that and my cam and then I'll really know what I'm working with? What do u think ideal cam would be?
OMG, R U kidding?!?!?!?!

That is one of the most single most changed parts, asked questions, widely answered and opinionated responses given.

In order ta answer that question, you have to give some information, of which you have given none to the cause.

We know nothing about anything except what is previously posted. Ya gotta help us out on this one.

What is "Ideal" to you? It is far removed from someone else I'll tell ya that. Give us some parameters and spec's as well as your target goal for the car.

.750 roller.

LMAO!!!!!!!

OMG, R U kidding?!?!?!?!

That is one of the most single most changed parts, asked questions, widely answered and opinionated responses given.

In order ta answer that question, you have to give some information, of which you have given none to the cause.

We know nothing about anything except what is previously posted. Ya gotta help us out on this one.

What is "Ideal" to you? It is far removed from someone else I'll tell ya that. Give us some parameters and spec's as well as your target goal for the car.

O dear Lord, how true.

Here's some help on the info;

Car
car weight
trans, auto/manual
rear axle size is nice but the gear ratio to be used is the key
tire size to be used

Engine info should be;

size/cubic inch
Heads to be used
valve size
head in what condition (Stock, any port wotk? Make the mention)
Comp-ratio and what piston is in there
And to a lesser extent.
intake to be used
carb to be used
exhaust to be used, manifolds or headers

INTENDED purpose. This is for the engine and cars performance. As in, what do you expect from the car, what do you want from the car.

I know thatseems like a lot and well, it kind of is, but then again, the better we are informed, the better off you will be and the recomendation will be.

74 plymouth duster
3200 pounds roughly
727 trans
unsure of rear end gears but it is a 8 1/4 rear end
360 heads
valve size is 2.02
pistons are flattop
bore is 3.950
dont know compression
eddy performer intake
eddy 1406 carb with brand new k&n 2 1/2in breather
headman tight tube headers going to 2 1/2 inch sidepipes
rear tires are BFG 245/50r14
i just ordered a new hurst v matic 2 shifter
traction bars and adjustable drag shocks
i dont plan on bringing the car to the track, however, i want my car to reach its max potentiel in a quarter mile with the motor and trans that i have.
look guys, im fairly new to muscle car world. i only bought the car 6 months ago and am just now really trying to learn about it. Some of the things i might say may sound stupid to you guys because this is natural for you all. Not me. you guys prolly forgot more than i know. if i wanna know anything about the motor, i have to drive 40 miles to check it out or rely on my brothers shop teacher for the answeruntil i pick it up next friday. I appreciate everyones input. thanks

Welcome to the wild and nutty world of (Internet) muscle car talk. LOL!

Well, the 8-1/4 rear probably has a 2.76 gear ratio. This limits the cam choices down to a fairly small cam, something like this Comp cam, XE256 Hyd. cam, or equal from another grinder.
http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/cam-specs/Details.aspx?csid=625&sb=2

IF the rear end has a higher gear ratio, this cam from Comp (or, again, equal from another grinder) would cover a lot of basses, with or with out a higher stall converter.
It is the XE268 Hyd.
http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/cam-specs/Details.aspx?csid=627&sb=2

The second cam works good with a 3.21/3.23 gear ratio and up as well as a lower compression ratio up to about a 10-1 ratio.

Your unknown compression ratio is a little bit of an issue. The problem is that 360 heads on a otherwise stock 318 shove the all ready low ratio into the basement. This will make for a weak bottom end and soggy throttle response. A lack luster take off will result.
Once you get going, it'll be OK.

Have fun at the track! Let us know how it was and how the car performed!

big cams dont kill ''compression'', not in the general sense, just the dynamic compression=cranking cyl pressure.
they bleed off cyl pressure at lower rpms.
fwiw

another question or so.i keep reading about 302 heads. if i went to a junk yard, what vehicles should i look for them on, how do i recognize them, whats the most i should pay for them, and finally, what exactly should i have done to them and/or my motor?

they came on 'roughly' '86-'89 318 engines, commonly found in vans.ime

outside of a basic rebuild.....look at the 318 head porting sticky, its just a start.

Price varies from J-yard to J-yard, state to state, vendor to vendor. Search and call around, play the game. As crazy as this sounds .... I have paid $100 for a set good off the greasy engine and $25 for a beed blasted bare set. There is nothing in stone or true guide to follow.

If these are Magnum heads then 318 and 360 are the same heads right? So they won't lower the compression using them on a 318 right?

All roughly 62 ccs,Dusted.A million years ago,they "supposedly"made a 167 cc intake port,but they all cracked.All the 360s were retrofitted with the 153 cc intake ports.These heads still "flow "roughly 215 [email protected],according to Shady Dell.(peaking at .480 to .500 lift).

-
Back