Heads up on ethanol in your gas.

-

adriver

Blazing Apostle
Reaction score
A few weeks ago the Marathon station owner where I get my gas told me that he had to have his tanks cleaned in preparation for ethanol.
Last night when I stopped to fill up, he showed me the first invoice.
The fuel now contains 10 percent ethanol.
No indication of it on the pumps.
I’ll let you know how the Dodge runs on it.:toothy10:
Seemed ok/fine on the way to day.
I hope all my rubber is compatible.
At least I won’t have to worry about water in my gas tank now.

MA has had ethanol in gas for ~2 years now.
No ill effects on anything, including people's classic muscle.

10% you can live with...anything more and your in trouble on a classic, or a car that is not set up to run it.

Colorado has had 10% Ethanol since I moved here 14 years ago. They also added 10% to the fuel in Illinois previous to my move. No problems so far with any rubber fuel system parts disentigrating.

I think by Federal law he has to sticker his pumps.

I'm here in orlando and I just started noticing the "Contains 10% or less ethanol" stickers on the pumps about 6 or 7 months ago. It's gonna be fun to tune the turbo /6 when they change the stuff twice a year. :(

I'm here in orlando and I just started noticing the "Contains 10% or less ethanol" stickers on the pumps about 6 or 7 months ago. It's gonna be fun to tune the turbo /6 when they change the stuff twice a year. :(

If its gonna be a daily driver i'd tune it for 89 and run 93 if its boosted/pushing it.

California has had the 10% or less for a while as well.

Jimmy Carter tried to sell the U.S. ethanol in the late 1970s. My 74 Dart did not like it then. Why should today be different? Is today's "10% or less" different than 1977 ethanol?

Oh, don't forget to turn out your lights and raise the thermostat to 78 degrees.

I was looking into working for an ethanol plant here in Indiana and did some online research, they say after studies most cars today can run with no problems up to 30%, Also something I hear is that Ethonal isnt Tax the same as gas, I guess the price would be higher then gas if they were tax the same... Around here they seem to keep the price just a little lower then regular unleaded gas!

I believe something needs to change real quick before our favorite places to shop and eat have to shut thier doors due to the fact that large giants such a Wal-Mart and places have thier own logistic system where the little owners of this country will have to rasie their prices due to fuel sur-charges and cant compete with buying in such bulk as the giants,

I just paid $900 and switching out my fuel oil furnace to elec, after some wiring and removal of the chimney it should be a close fit for a few mods to hook up the vents! I feel like dealing with just one crook for energy in my house!

A truck driver told me that the gas that marathon gets some had ethanol and some didn't. It just depended on what you ordered. He did say that the gov. gave them cash back for using ethanol though. He was filling up a marathon here in town and the owner came out yelling at him saying that better not have ethanol in it. He did say that eventually everyone was going to have to use it. I use ultra 94 for my car and he said that rating was actually 95 to 96.

Damn it........there goes the price of my corn on the cob this summer. Always great with BBQ.

Ditto on what Adam said here in New York. I can not remember the gas without it. I can run a 11-1 eddie head engine without problems on the 93 octane.
Also a 9.8-1 J head 360 did fine.

In theory alcohol blended with gas shoould increase ping resistance..

WI and IL have had 10% for at least 15 years, I haven't had any problems with any of the cars I've driven, also E85 is geting bigger around here.

WI and IL have had 10% for at least 15 years, I haven't had any problems with any of the cars I've driven, also E85 is geting bigger around here.

HEY! Welcome aboard. I wish it would just simply get here!

Needsaresto is right, E-85 (85% Ethanol/15% Gasoline) is over 108 octane. The problem is that the stoicometric ratio for Alcohol is 9:1 versus Gasoline which is 14.7:1. In other words, you gotta burn about 33% more alcohol to equal the amount of gasoline that you would burn.

Since alcohol has more inherent oxygen, you can make more power and run much cooler on E-85 vs 95 octane gasoline.

There's a lot more too this (both good and bad) but I'll hold back on a long winded post until i'm sure someone is interested in hearing it. :)

Can we expect any increase/decrease in mileage? For some reason my mileage recently went to crap about 3 weeks ago in my Dakota. My daughter said the same thing about her Civic (she went from about 40 to now getting 35-36 mpg)...
C

I was looking into working for an ethanol plant here in Indiana and did some online research, they say after studies most cars today can run with no problems up to 30%, Also something I hear is that Ethonal isnt Tax the same as gas, I guess the price would be higher then gas if they were tax the same... Around here they seem to keep the price just a little lower then regular unleaded gas!

I believe something needs to change real quick before our favorite places to shop and eat have to shut thier doors due to the fact that large giants such a Wal-Mart and places have thier own logistic system where the little owners of this country will have to rasie their prices due to fuel sur-charges and cant compete with buying in such bulk as the giants,

I just paid $900 and switching out my fuel oil furnace to elec, after some wiring and removal of the chimney it should be a close fit for a few mods to hook up the vents! I feel like dealing with just one crook for energy in my house!

Ethanol is subsidised so the price is lower than gas and people will buy it.

no probs with the 66,,,,,but the little hose in my weedwacker gas tank keeps deteriorating

Can we expect any increase/decrease in mileage? For some reason my mileage recently went to crap about 3 weeks ago in my Dakota. My daughter said the same thing about her Civic (she went from about 40 to now getting 35-36 mpg)...
C

An EFI system will compensate for the alcohol by adding more fuel. Your mileage will decrease.

-
Back