heads

-

Brian Hood

Reaction score
Before I start, please accept my sincere thanks to all of you for your advise and suggestions. Its nice to know that I can relate to someone or something even if it is on the net. Thanks all!

Now to my biggest problem- HEADS

I have a low mi 318 LA from a 71 truck. I would like to get about 300 hp from this if I can without spend my 5 childrens college funds! LOL
I have heads that are pre-unleaded fuel. I know that I am going to have to change them or up grade them.
1. Is a 302 head a swirlport type?
2. Would a 318 or a 360 magnum head be a better choice?
3. Should I put a set of 360 swirlport heads of this 318 and mill them and use a thiinner head gasket to off set the compression ratio lost with this swap? I am beyond confused. ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR YOU GUYS?
BRIAN HOOD

Not tryin to push somethin on you, but I have a VERY nice clean set of ready to bolt on "J" heads if you decide to go with an LA head. Just as with the other 360 heads, you'll need to make up some compression possibly.

i have not read this my self,,but was talking with some one on this same topic, using 5.2 magnum heads will bump up your compression,,and flow better then the standard la heads,, i havent checked it out but was tols hughes has heads complete and ready to go for 800 for the pair,, ill be looking in to the same options that you are looking for,, for possibily a different motor in my street rod,,

1. Is a 302 head a swirlport type?
Yes.
2. Would a 318 or a 360 magnum head be a better choice?
I beileve so. Check for cracks.
3. Should I put a set of 360 swirlport heads of this 318 and mill them and use a thiinner head gasket to off set the compression ratio lost with this swap?
Not the best option IMO but probably the cheapest for high performance on a LA engine useing LA parts.

The biggest issue, beileve it or not, is the engines compresion being lower than advertised. For a inexpensive route to take, take the OE heads, milled some and given a 1.60 exhaust valve and a comp. valve job. Add cam of 220 duration or better with your 4bbl. and headers. You'll find 300hp.

I have a bare set of 302's that could be worked on while the car is driven. PM me if interested.

In terms of ease, get a set if the Iron Rams from Hughes with the LA intake pattern and bolt them on. You will need to get some Magnum rockers from a recycler (or maybe donated free here?) and run AMC lifters and hollow pushrods. You'll spend more to have the heads you have done than their cost and they will work excellently on a 318.

-
Back