Heat Shroud for Fuel Pump

-

mopowers

Reaction score
Has anyone made something like this? Could it potentially help with heat soak/vapor lock issues?

Thoughts?

318polyfuelpumpshield-2.jpg

I thought most of the heat soak / vapor lock problems happened in the carb. I know my carter afb was famous for it. Are you having trouble in the pump?

I thought most of the heat soak / vapor lock problems happened in the carb. I know my carter afb was famous for it. Are you having trouble in the pump?

Just a smidge. I'm trying to curb any minor issue before it gets hot this summer. I know the fuel line along the frame gets a bit warm next to the header. I plan on putting a heat shield wrap over that and install a return line off my regulator back to the tank. I was just brainstorming and wondered if a fuel pump heat shield may potentially help. The carb stays relatively cool, with the 1" wood phenolic spacer and air-gap manifold. The fuel itself is really hot though.

It looks like a good idea, but you'd have to be careful with how thick the aluminum is and I wonder how you would seal it. I figured most of the heat transfer is being conducted through the mounting flange since air is being blown across the front from the fan. I see you are planning on adding a return line. Not sure if you have a tank vent that goes into your engine bay like mine. I got a NAPA 3054 filter with a reduced orifice return outlet and hooked that up to the vent line that used to go to my vapor canister. It works real well for me.
IMG_20170326_105916.jpg

Last edited:
I figured most of the heat transfer is being conducted through the mounting flange since air is being blown across the front from the fan.
That's a very good point. Hadn't really thought about that. Thanks for talking some sense into me.

I see you are planning on adding a return line. Not sure if you have a tank vent that goes into your engine bay like mine. I got a NAPA 3054 filter with a reduced orifice return outlet and hooked that up to the vent line that used to go to my vapor canister. It works real well for me.
View attachment 1715036501

I'm not quite sure that's the best approach for me. Here's what I'm workin with (below). I've got an inline filter between the Carter HP pump and regulator. I intend to run a return line from the regulator back to the tank. Just gotta find a place to run that line to. I've got a later model fuel tank, so I believe I can just run the return back to one of those vent nipples. Hopefully that'll work a little.

View attachment 1715036510

Picture0407172109_1.jpg

I'm not quite sure that's the best approach for me. Here's what I'm workin with (below). I've got an inline filter between the Carter HP pump and regulator. I intend to run a return line from the regulator back to the tank. Just gotta find a place to run that line to. I've got a later model fuel tank, so I believe I can just run the return back to one of those vent nipples. Hopefully that'll work a little.
Nice! Sounds like a plan. I had to use a vented gas cap since I repurposed my vent line. I considered adding a vent to the filler tube like the earlier models.

-
Back