Heater & A/C control

-

clhyer

Reaction score
Not much in the way of a response to my last question... Let me try a new one.
I am working on a '72 Duster. I have a '75 Duster parts car. Both are a/c cars. The HVAC control is different between the two. The '72 has a fan switch, 1 heat lever and push buttons that control the a/c. The '75 has 2 levers, 1 for heat and 1 which controls the a/c modes.
Is the '75 a better set up? As I can use either one I would be interested in finding out why the change.
Thanks,
C
PS, if you missed my post earlier; I would love to see some pictures of an aftermarket a/c system inside the car...

The earlier mechanical over vacuum push buttons jambed, broke, failed to provide defrost or heat so the user beat the button assembly to death.
Blend doors get hard to move with age and tempature change. Most to the point a cable cant move it the full travel let alone a vacuum servo. Hope this explains why the later is a combination of both vacuum and mechanical doors, thus better. I do like the look of the lighted push buttons.

Redfish,
Thanks for your reply. I just thought that "newer isn't always better..."
I wonder if the aftermarket systems would work better, to allow the '72 version?
Thanks again,
C

the aftermarket systems use a smaller reciprocating compressorl like a Nipendenso or whatever. Weighs a lot let that the RV2 but is disposable too where the rv2 might be rebuilt. Aftermarket will probably use a fixed orafice tube between low and high sides rather that the old expansion valve also. Those differences being under the hood. Inside the car aftermarket a/c is just that. Seperate fan control, etc,, and you'll still need the factory components to get heat and defrost.
I intend to purchase brackets and such to relocate and run the smaller compressor with the stock interior workings.

Well, it depends on waht aftermarket system you are using. The one my friend got from classic auto air has electronic control. Then an electric servo that diverts coolant into the heater core. The thing that diverts the vents was electrical also.

Most of the aftermarket A/C mfg's use Sanden compressors & some sell kits to mount them on your Mopar. Bouchillon Performance makes a low mount a/c bracket that permits the compressor to mount underneath the alternator on an RB engine. You can update the under hood part or both. Most of these third party mfgs sell electronicly controlled evaporators that are much smaller than the OEM units & so take up much less space under the dash. But they still make vaccum & cable controlled units as well. Here are some web sites for a/c:

www.classicautoair.com

www.hotrodair.com

www.vintageair.com

Here's a link to a fellow's install of a Vintage Air system in his 64 Valiant, lots of info & photos...

http://www.slantsix.org/articles/vintage-air/Vintage_Air.htm

Many of those kits for relocating the compressor have a snowball factor. Relocation brackets requiring different pulleys and belts. I have a source for a bracket kit that utilizes stock pulleys and belts but does require the aluminum water pump. Small concession to maintain a semi stock look yet get that big RV2 outa there. You know you can biuld an air compressor with that thing ?!?! LOL
I'll post that bracket kit source when I find his business card.

This has been great info for me. Thanks to everyone that responded.
C

I believe Bouchillion Perf's low mount compressor bracket is supposed to work with non a/c car pulley setups. They even offer many different reproduction pulleys...

I use a rotary compressor on my 72 Dart (all stock under dash) the drawback is you have to have the right intake for it to work as it sits right over the thermostat housing. The setup works very well. The performer intake will work or any stock late 80's intake from a 318 or 360. Sanden also makes a direct replacement for this compressor, it is a c-171 and are available just about anywhere.
Bruce

Thanks for the updates. Moparsky, I haven't done anything yet. I am still doing body work. Hope to be done with the body by early summer so that I can get started on the mechanicals...
C

clhyer,

Here are a couple of links I have run across showing AC set up in different Mopars, maybe they can help...

From a Mopar Muscle Mag article, Classic Auto Air's "Perfect Fit" system install into a 1967 Valiant, some really nice photos;

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/projectbuild/mopp_0508_1967_plymouth_valiant_ac/photo_08.html

Here is a link to an install of a Vintage Air system into a 1964 Valiant from the Slant Six web site;

http://www.slantsix.org/articles/vintage-air/Vintage_Air.htm

Here's another Classic Auto Air install, this time in a 69' R/T;

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/...opar_air_conditioning_installation/index.html

-
Back