Heater Box Mounting (with J-Hook)

-

1969VADart

Reaction score
I am in the process of repairing my heater box as I restore the unit. The bottom of the portion of the box below the cowl seal and fresh air door was broken out where the retainer rod/J-hook attaches to the box causing the box to sag and not seal at the cowl. I was wondering if anyone could share a picture of exactly how the J-hook attaches to the bottom of the heater box? I want to make sure that I have the hole on the bottom side correct after repair. If you came up with an alternative type of mount or hook to hold the box up to the cowl seal I would appreciate any pictures of that as well. Thanks.

All I can offer is a tip... The adhesive on the new foam seal is worthless. Use 3M weather strip adhesive on it.

All I can offer is a tip... The adhesive on the new foam seal is worthless. Use 3M weather strip adhesive on it.

Redfish,

I got my refurb kit from Detroit Muscle Technologies and one of the first things they recommend in their instructions is to buy 3M weatherstrip adhesive and spray. Thanks for the recommendation though. I actually took all of the guts out of the AC box because I removed the AC from my car, so I am just basically sealing that part of the system up.

on my 69 the "J" hook mounted to a metal riveted tab in the middle of the box---- it did not go all the way to the bottom . Lawrence

I wonder if there is something I could make work from a hardware store? Ideally, I would like to find something like a tent stake but with threads on one end that I could tighten up from the bottom to pull the box up. Then I could also use a washer to reinforce the mounting point.

I figured out how the hook is supposed to mount in the box. Of course, I had it upside down. Works better if installed in the box correctly.

All thread rod.

This is 73 so is probably a little different, but the idea is the same.

First pic is where I sealed up the hole in the box from the tab for the J hangar being ripped out.

Second pic is after it was all fixed with the J hanger bracket JB welded back to the inside of the box.

Third pic shows a barely noticable line where the new faceplate I made to cover the repaired surface is.
You know that stuff that looks like carboard in construction, but is made of plastic?
(they make advertizing signs out of that stuff)
That's what the paceplate is that covers the repaired surface. (painted black)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 194
  • 2.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 169
  • 2a.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 173
-
Back