Heater box rebuild

-

Dizzydean

Reaction score
I'm going to be pulling the heater box and vents for a cleaning and gasket replacement, any recommendations for the kits or who not to use is greatly appreciated. Thanks. Dean

You could buy a kit, but I didn't have any problems at all redoing all the door seals and everything with that sticky backed 3/8 weather strip and it worked great, and 3 years later still does.
A little 3m weather strip adhesive secured it real well and a piece of foam cut in a circle made a good box to cowl seal.

Try Detroit Muscle Technologies. I've used them before. Good company, they go to most of the big shows and should have what your looking for.
Detroitmuscletechnologies.com

Try Detroit Muscle Technologies. I've used them before. Good company, they go to most of the big shows and should have what your looking for.
Detroitmuscletechnologies.com

Yup, Their kits are very complete and reasonably priced. Used em several times.

I had only 1 problem with materials from DMT. The thick foam ring that seals the plenum fresh air opening to the cowl. When I tried to peel the paper from the adhesive, the sticky lifted right off the foam with the paper. A bead of 3m Weather strip adhesive saved the day.

I used Detroit Muscle Technologies heater box restore kit for my Dart and it worked great. And the kit was surprisingly cheap.

One tip, be careful when removing spring clips that hold the halves together. Before reinstalling them make sure to release tension some. No need for them to be as tight as they are.

Since your talking heater boxes I'm wondering if anyone know which heater hose goes to the different side of the heater core.

I'm redoing my engine compartment and had issues with the heater prior to the tear down, so I was thinking maybe I had the hoses switched, or does it even matter?

Help me out with your insight.

Since your talking heater boxes I'm wondering if anyone know which heater hose goes to the different side of the heater core.

I'm redoing my engine compartment and had issues with the heater prior to the tear down, so I was thinking maybe I had the hoses switched, or does it even matter?

Help me out with your insight.

Makes zero difference unless the pipes are different sizes, then it's kind of obvious what to do. :D
Functionality wise it doesn't matter.

Make sure the control doors are opening and closing like they should (I have seen bent control cables that people didn't know were bent) keeping a heater from working, and other than that try flushing water through it in both directions.
It might just be clogged.

As a general rule of thumb, heater hoses don't X .

-
Back