heater control parts, anybody make these

-

moparmat2000

Reaction score
Hi y'all,

Anybody make Repops of the nylon plastic pin,clip, roller things for the heater controller on the NON A/C cars that the heater control cable ends snap into? Mine are so dryrotted theres nothing left of them. What are these even called?

They actually would be better if they were made out of steel, and had a clevis pin instead of the cheesy built in clip that breaks.

Matt

What I'm picturing is a nylon disc between the metal parts. Disc has nylon stems that snap of when stress of plenum door or cable movement exceeds what the nylon can handle.
What I do is first correct the root cause of the broken stem. Then I drill and tap the center of the nylon disc for a brass 10-32 screw. I have had to thread the entire length of a screw shank and cut the head off where I needed a locking nut on both ends.

I fixed it.

I have a spare heater control that has a broken one of these pins thats not dry rotted to nothing. So at least i had something to measure that was accurately sized. The stem is the same diameter as a #10 machinist drill bit. The built in washer/spacer is 3/16" thick and fits right inside my 3/4" rotabroach circular cutter.

I drilled 2 pilot holes in a piece of 3/16" plate scrap steel i had, then drilled it out w my 3/4" dia rotabroach holesaw bit. The pieces knocked out of the steel plate with my 3/4" holesaw are the new washer / spacer pieces forvthe pin. Then i clamped em nice n flat in my drill press, and drilled the centers with a #10 drill.

I scuffed up the shanks on 2 used cobalt #10 drills and super glued the 3/16" metal washers i made in place. Then i deburred and smoothed everything out, and cut the twist drill end off leaving just the smooth drill shank.

I made the drill shank pins stick up a bit higher than the stock plastic ones so the cables cant slip off, then i greased everything to move smoothly, and adjusted the nylon lock nuts for the levers to allow smooth movement.

I will prob get those push on lock washers they use on the cable ends for these, but with the length i made the pins it probably isnt necessary.

Everything works smoothly without any binding. I am sure with a bit of care this can be duplicated in a regular bench vise. Out of metal, i will never have to replace these in my lifetime LOL.

I originally thought of the bolt, nut, washer thing, but for starters , there wasnt enough of the nylon left on either pins that wasnt dryrotted and missing, plus the smooth shank of the hardened drill bit wont cut into the mild steel that the lever arms and heater control base are made of

Hope this helps.

Actually instead of the push on washers to hold the cable ends onto the metal posts i made, i am now thinking of small pieces of tightly fitting vacuum hose pushed over the posts.

My various 2.2 turbo mopars had this for the climate control cable end, and it worked well. Never had a cable end come off.

If i could take the time to make these for sale, would any of you be interested in them?

If i could take the time to make these for sale, would any of you be interested in them?

Would this be the complete heater control, including where the vacuum tubes connect? If it'll fit in a '67 fastback, you have my attention!

I am only talking about making the pins in the controller that the cables attach to. These are plastic, i made my replacements out of steel.

-
Back