heater core = P.I.T.A.

-

rabius75

Reaction score
well... i came out of the store, sippin on a mt. dew... "oh, whats this white cloud eminating from underneath my car?" i look, expecting my catylitic converter to be leaking, and something is dripping on the exhaust.. "oh funk." i think to myself. open the hood, the coolant is coming from the back of the motor.. not good im thinking.. but i soon spot the leak, its the hoses at the firewall for the heater core. ok, not leaking fast... ill be ok to get home. so i notice the TRAIL i left behind me... well, i start heading down the road, i see no trail behind me anymore.. thats cool, then i notice that my car smells like... ***. oh, ok, a puddle of coolant on either side of my transmission tunnel in the floorboard. great.
damn heatercore. now i have to disconnect it until i can find a new one. i guess ill just be connecting the feed and return lines together at the firewall until i get a new core. i have to drive this car, its my only transport.

GRRR.. where can i get a NEW core from? and am i gonna have to sell an organ to get it? (*edit* oh, i feel dumb, shouldve looked first, advance auto has them for $40..*edit*)

*goes shopping*

At least its the summertime so your car will still be drivable while you get around to getting the new core. Just imagine if it happened in December :shock:

I got mine from YearOne when it started leaking.
Did you ever change one before?
It's not that hard just a pain in the axx!

no, never changed one, but i knew it would be a *****. i need to take my dash apart anyway. clean it up and repaint it with some fresh paint.

:D :D

Just changed two of them , one in my 69 factory air car, and the other in my 67 Formula "S" Coupe.

Got the the cores at Bumper to Bumper Auto Parts @ $39.90 each.

Only problem I had, was I had to reposistion the lines (pipes) on both cores, cause they would not line up to fit them in the box. They were made in Mexico. So I just re-soldred them in the correct posistion. Piece of cake.

I took both boxes out of the cars completely, and cleaned them up and put in new seals where needed.

I had just finnished up the 67 box, and it was sitting on the work bench, I went over to the car to check something, and I heard a crash on the floor, and the 67 box had fallen off the work bench ,and hit the floor and both halves had broken. So I had to transfer a bunch of the parts to another box and start over. They are not that hard to change. Just put the control cables back on the right door levers, so the controls work good.

Good luck and use your F.S.M. for referance.

Dave C.

MAN....................HAVE YOU GUYS EVER CHANGED A 80S AND NEWER FORD WITH A/C!.........YOU HAVE TO REMOVE THE WHOLE DASH, DISCHARGE THE A/C ,REMOVE THE BOX, ALL THIS TO REMOVE A LITTLE LID ON TOP OF THE BOX!!!!!!!!!!1 ITS LISTED AS AN 8 HOUR JOB....IVE DONE IT MANY TIMES SO IT ONLY TAKES 3 HRS.....ID DO ANY ONDER CAR ANYDAY!!! EXCEPT FOR EARLY MERCEDES, THEY AR JUST AS MUCH A PAIN IN THE ARSE!!!!!!!!1 :drunken:

it took me almost a day to get mine in my car cuz i forgot how i got it out of the car some it was back and forth trin to figure out what the hell i did! :scratch:

The only time I use that #%&* thing is if car gets hot. Makes a good engine cooler, but sure gets toasty in the car then. Otherwise I think I would try to eliminate the whole works. No winter driving here with all the salt they toss on the roads.

-
Back