Heater core started leaking, reminders/tips how to remove box?

-

kiss

Reaction score
Driving home from running errands the heater core started dripping. 1971 Dart 360 (rebuilt motor recently) and my radiator was re-cored a few years ago. Cooling system in good condition but original heater core. Probably just age caused it to finally fail.

I've only removed the heater box out of the car once and I'm looking through the manual trying to remember it. I know the hooks inside I need to remove. I can't recall do I need to remove the blower motor or can I leave that in? Anything else aside from unhooking the cables? Any tips or shortcuts is appreciated since my work space is limited right now.

This is the heater core with 2 different hose sizes. I believe one hose is 5/8" and the other not sure. Does anyone know? I want to pickup a step-fitting to hook the 2 hoses together securely so I can drive the car during the heater core repair.

Lastly what heater cores are we going with these days? Any decent brands or are they all the same made in China stuff?

BTW this is a non a/c car

DL a factory service manual is the best I got. 68 thru 72 a-body all about the same

DL a factory service manual is the best I got. 68 thru 72 a-body all about the same
Thanks, I found a better manual. One hose is 1/2" and one is 5/8". Looks like it's reminded me how to remove the heater box, somewhat simple, easier if the glovebox is removed for access to disconnect the cables and other things.

This place sells rebuild kits:
Mopar A Body 67-72 BASIC NON AC Heater Box Rebuild Restoration Seal Gasket Kit

At this point just need a recommendation on a good quality heater core.

Some use rubber caps w/ clamps on the metal nipples at intake and water pump to delete heater hoses. Apparently doesn't adversely effect circulation in engine. Just an alternative to the pipe fittings to create a hose loop. Best heater core? I don't know. I guess I would go with Spectra Premium today. Good luck

I ran into my higher revving 360 putting too much pressure on my heater core and I ended up installing a restrictor off the top of the waterpump. Basically the fitting with a reduced ID.

-
Back