Heater core test ?

-

diymirage

HP@idle > hondaHP@redline
Reaction score
When I bought my duster, it had a slant six in it with the heater core bypassed

When I swapped out the slanty for a 360 I didn't bother hooking the heater core up, figuring the reason it was bypassed is because it is leaking

But it's been a few years now and I'm thinking...I would like to have a working heater
(I highly doubt I am going to go through the effort of replacing it though)
But, if it ain't broken and it's just a matter of hooking it up, I'm game for that

So, long story short...is there a way to test the heater core without removing it ?

Sure, but you would have to fab up a cap with a valve stem or such and a gauge and a little ball valve. cap and clamp both ends. pump about 10 lbs into it and shut off the valve. Watch the gauge.
You know the spiel.

Instead of a cap you could do it with heater hose and some fittings and valves

Get a bicycle innertube cut it to a short enough length with the valve stem in the middle. I'd say about 10 inches is adequate. Hose clamp it to the tubes pump up to whatever radiator cap psi you are using and wait a few minutes. Check psi.

I would just install a new one. I know it's a PITA, but compared to newer cars, it's cake. Heater cores are easy to get for that car & fairly cheap too. (RockAuto)
New aluminum cores are lighter & way more efficient than the old copper ones & it's just not worth the effort to check it if you're unsure of its condition. If it leaks, you'll have to replace it anyway, IMHO.

Thanks guys

I'll give the bike tube a try, I'm sure to have something kicking around that would fit the bill

At this point, I just want to know if it is good or not

Get a bicycle innertube cut it to a short enough length with the valve stem in the middle. I'd say about 10 inches is adequate. Hose clamp it to the tubes pump up to whatever radiator cap psi you are using and wait a few minutes. Check psi.
Great idea! I'm going to try this before I reinstall my heater box. I rebuilt it with a kit from DMT and put a new core from RA in it.

If you do have to replace its definitely one of the easier cars to do it to.

I would think an inner tube would pop like a ballon with ten pounds of air, unless it's within a tire.....imo.

I would think an inner tube would pop like a ballon with ten pounds of air, unless it's within a tire.....imo.
Maybe pump it up to 20 PSI before its cut and attached to heater core see what happens?
Wear full face shield.

The crap could be covering where the leak would be. I would just replace it. U wouldn’t want all the dirty crap to get flushed into your motor. Kim

You are forgetting the obvious. Just hook the heater hoses up and see if it leaks! :rofl::rofl:
Seriously though, heater cores are not that difficult to replace if your car does not have AC. You could easily do it in one weekend. @oldkimmer is right. You could be flushing a bunch of crap into the engine.

So you don't want to replace the heater core? Seriously? It's less than an hour job for this old man and hand tools.

It didnt

I could not get the ends to close around the heater core, so each time i would air it up, it would just leak out

I guess i will just replace it

Careful with the replacements. I'd get the old heater recored. Cost me about $140 a couple years ago. Plus the cost of the worthless 'replacement' that I didn't use.

Last edited:
Cores for some of these cars are getting hard to find now. I got two way back when I first replaced Vixen's and now I cannot find another. I'm glad I have an extra.

-
Back