Heater delete facts

-

fgpope2000

Reaction score
I need this question answered. Were there any 1968 GTS's with a factory 383 built for US sales come without a heater? I know Dodge would build many odd combination cars but this was the top line Dart with less than 1100 383/auto trans built. Thanks for any info and the possibility of making my GTS that way.

I don't see heater delete as high or low end thing. If you live somewhere you don't really need (or want) a heater, then............!!! lol

When I was in the navy, I used to see cars in San Diego area with no heater. It DOES get cold enough there that you need one, if you drive in winter!!

Thanks for your input but wouldn't you you think it would be standard part and you would have to specify at the dealership for it to be deleted. I think less than a few of 1968 GTS'S would not have a heater/defoster

I never understood that delete option. Seems to me windshields can fog up ANYWHERE, so the need for a heater/defrost is there no matter the location.

I would love to live in a Climate where you could use a Heater Delete. But ya gotta have a Defroster, Even in the summer.

That's why it was called "delete" because you had to tell them to leave off a standard part.

Alot of the a bodies sold here during that time period were heater delete. if there were gts cars sold here, they likely were ordered without the heater.

from the 1968 section of the GTS Registry:

LS23H8B257***: GTS#18: Owned by Darrell from IL, this is another 383 GTS. Formerly a race car, Darrell is anticipating having it turn-key in May 2002. Originally QQ1 Blue with a white interior and black longitudal stripe. The GTS was radio and heater delete, but had the console tachometer.

from the 1969 section

LS23H9B215***: GTS#339: My old friend Justus S. from TX just picked up another 383 H25 "heater delete" GTS! This GTS is also a V88 "stripe delete" car as well. Painted Q5 Turquoise with a black bucket seat interior, Justus' GTS is also 727 equipped. Built on Wednesday March 19, 1969 the only options on the car are tinted windshield, AM radio, and body belt mouldings. The car is stripped and ready to be put back together. Justus hopes to debut the car at the 2007 Mopar Nationals in Columbus, Ohio.

and..

LS23H9B396***: GTS#103: Owned by Justus S. from Ohio, this B7 383 GTS joins Justus's 1969 383 GTS ( #255*** )!! Here they are parked together at the 2003 Mopar Nationals! This is a 3.23 SG geared 4 speed GTS. White interior, console, AM radio, moulding package were all the options ordered on this H code. The most notable option ordered, or should we say NOT ordered, is the H25 Heater Delete. Look closely in the 383 engine bay and you can see the "delete" plate! This is what the delete plate looks like in the dash board!

I also own a 1969 GTS heater delete car. It also has stripe delete and is a 340 4-speed car in B7 Blue.

E01E17B3-78D8-462B-B23A-6207725DF100.jpeg

37278321-CA75-4A2D-A386-3E304E7C36D7.jpeg

Back during that time frame you could order what you wanted if you talked to the right people at the dealership. Ask MaBell, almost all of the fleet service trucks were radio & A/C delete. That carried on for many years until it began to cost more to delete the items than leave them on.

Heaters were a standard item, but they could be deleted.

Radios & AC were extra cost options, so there is no 'delete' for those, you simply did not order them in the first place.

I would think at some point the fed's would have mandated defrosters and there for you would have to have a heater.

Brian

what did the factory do with the water pump and intake heater hose connections?

simply connect them together with a short length of hose like everyone else?

You don't need to loop a hose, just a cap will work. I think that's what the 68 SS A bodies had.

-
Back