heater delete general questions

-

moparmat2000

Reaction score
Hi y'all

I am looking at making a stock looking heater delete for my 67 barracuda. Making the firewall plates is easy, but i have some questions.

On heater delete cars are there still plastic defroster vents in the dash, or are there flat covers? What is done with the cowl vent hole on the passenger side? Is a cover installed, or is there another fresh air vent setup with a door kind of an opposite looking of the drivers side vent?

I know there prob wasnt a heater delete option on the 67 barracuda like there was on dodge darts, however i want it to look somewhat stock, as if the factory did one to this car. I have come up with a cover design for the heater control in the dash to cover it up similar to a radio delete plate.

Anybody have a heater delete car who can answer these questions, or maybe some of these pieces from one they are qilling to sell?

Thanks in advance.
Matt

Hi y'all

I am looking at making a stock looking heater delete for my 67 barracuda. Making the firewall plates is easy, but i have some questions.

On heater delete cars are there still plastic defroster vents in the dash, or are there flat covers? What is done with the cowl vent hole on the passenger side? Is a cover installed, or is there another fresh air vent setup with a door kind of an opposite looking of the drivers side vent?

I know there prob wasnt a heater delete option on the 67 barracuda like there was on dodge darts, however i want it to look somewhat stock, as if the factory did one to this car. I have come up with a cover design for the heater control in the dash to cover it up similar to a radio delete plate.

Anybody have a heater delete car who can answer these questions, or maybe some of these pieces from one they are qilling to sell?

Thanks in advance.
Matt

They left the defroster vents on the the dash. Just no hoses running to them.

There is a special passenger side vent box for heater delete cars that has a vent door very similar to a regular heater car. But the box itself does not have a heater in it of course. The box is very much like the driver side small box, but configured different and the vent door opens from the other side.

You can take an extra driver side box and install it on the passenger side with a little thinking. The door will just open on the wrong side with it's handle next to the kick panel.

Here's a pic of an original heater delete passenger side box. Extremely rare and expensive if you can find it.

fresh-air-box-01-medium.jpg

Here's heater blower motor block off. A/C cars have a larger diameter opening in the firewall. You can fake on of those but making the block off a little larger. They never used an A/C firewall for a heater delete from the factory.

IMG_0511_zps4f0655a0.jpg

The dash would have a heater (or heater/radio) control plate with the heater control molded in blank flat with no opening for the controls. Same pebble texture that surround the heater control slots.

Like this 68 setup but with the 67 rounded area around the radio area.

MA1786.JPG

But applied to a 67 plate like this

m9TtB7_4DdGV-lcgOiGZHMg.jpg

or this for a lower model Dart

316-D68R-1.jpg

Here's a drivers side vent box that will work in the passenger side. Compare this to picture in previous post. Most people have never seen one and will not know the difference if it's used in place of an original shown above.

attachment.php

Hi y'all

Thanks in advance.
Matt

I managed to make my '71 Duster heater delete and look factory. You need the correct dash bezel, firewall plate and heater delete fresh air box. Finding a real heater delete fresh air box is pretty much impossible as is the '70-up heater delete dash bezel. Dash vents are still there AFAIK. However, I believe on some of the older cars (pre -'66) there was a specific 'heater delete' dash without vents. Not 100% sure on that though.

There are repro bezels on Ebay but they are not that great and come unfinished. No one repops the heater delete fresh air boxes. Firewall plates are available from Ebay and from Andy F but his looks a little different than a factory one. Sounds like you want the factory look though so start looking for the parts, might find something in the next decade. I am lucky enough to have the factory bezel and fresh air box (have two) but I am using the Andy F firewall plate.

Making a heater delete box is not as easy as it would seem if you want the door to open the right way. If you don't care about looks, correctness or letting fresh air in on the passenger side, go to Home Depot or something and just get a vent cover to fit over the hole on the underside of the cowl. I think it's 6" IIRC but don't quote me on that.

Or, look on Ebay Australia for people parting out an old Valiant. Their cars are right hand drive so their fresh air box is on the right which is exactly the same as our heater delete box. Shipping can be a bear but if you want a real one, that's where to find it.

There are pics of a heater delete box here in this thread on Moparts.

opps I didn't see the OP was looking for a 67 Barracuda vs a 67 Dart. Like Ramcharger says, there's plastic covers to for the 67-69 Rallye gauges.

They used them commonly in the Mexican Darts and Mexican Barracudas that came standard with Rallyes gauges and without heater.

Here's a repro rallye heater delete set: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-repo-...l-kit-rally-/351489675102?hash=item51d66acf5e

There are two sizes of fan motor controls depending on the year of your car. That's why there are 3 plates shown, but he only sells you two.

$_12.JPG

Wouldn't there still be hoses hooked up to defog the inside of windshield? Just no hot air.

No, because there is no stand-alone defroster, it's all contained in the heater box. If you remove the blower motor, you are removing the defrost function.

Normally, there's a door inside the box that diverts the air from the blower through the vent hoses (actuated by the slider selector on the bezel) but it still goes through the same plenum.

Ok cool, this answers some questions, but gives ne some more questions.

First. Does anybody have the firewall delete plate? How thick is the steel it was made of? Where the heater core tubes come out, was that a metal rectangle, or did they just use 2 caplugs over the holes?

Did a regular heater box firewall pad get used, or was there a special smooth firewall pad used?

Does anybody here have those little dashboard delete cover plates as shown by autoxcuda on ebay, that they can hook me up with length and width and thickness dimensions of these pieces, so i make my own copies of these.

As far as the R/H fresh air vent goes, i may try to find a broken up heater box and cut off the end with the seal and door, and just fiberglass in the missing piece to make my own R/H vent.

Thanks
Matt

Ok cool, this answers some questions, but gives ne some more questions.

First. Does anybody have the firewall delete plate? How thick is the steel it was made of? Where the heater core tubes come out, was that a metal rectangle, or did they just use 2 caplugs over the holes?

Don't know the exact gauge. IIRC same thickness as the regular heater hose flat plate with the one screw hole in the center.

Here's the firewall on a Mexican heater delete car. Note the holes and pattern on the firewall for the blower motors. Clearly shows sheet metal screws were used. Pan head screws are what I have seen.

attachment.php

attachment.php

On that subject, I'm not sure the heater hose plate gets that same dimension and thickness plate without the two holes punched in it for the hoses OR does it get two plugs in those holes. If it gets plugs, what goes in the screw holes between the plugs? I really doubt Chrysler is going to leave a hole between the firewall and interior compartment.

I may have answered my own question. I myself took these picture of a fairly original Mexican Duster years ago. Most of the Mexican cars are super messed with and hammered.

This one does have original engine compartment paint. It's messed with a little, but not much.

attachment.php

Not very often you'll find original dealer docs on Mexican Super Bee's....

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

if your bezel is not perfect and needs re-finish then even better because with 3M 8115, all things are possible.

I made my own radio delete but the same could be done for the heater very easy if you are working the bezel. I actually shaved it and I like the one I made better than the factory delete.

the heater sections can be ground out with a die grinder and filled and sanded to a desired look

Attachments

• CIMG3191.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 719
  • CIMG3192.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 683
  • CIMG3189.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 667
  • CIMG3190.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 671
if your bezel is not perfect and needs re-finish then even better because with 3M 8115, all things are possible.

I made my own radio delete but the same could be done for the heater very easy if you are working the bezel. I actually shaved it and I like the one I made better than the factory delete.

the heater sections can be ground out with a die grinder and filled and sanded to a desired look

I have a new dash bezel, and the factory radio delete plate my car originally came with, so i will just clean, repaint, and reinstall it. After spending a small fortune on repop plastic rallye dash bezels i dont think i want to grind on it or permanently modify it.

What i would like is dimensions of the heater controller delete plates for rallye dash. I can make these covers myself if i have dimensions. Trying to make it appear stock, as if it came that way, plus it will be easily reversable.

BTW the shaved smooth bezel you made looks really awesome Ranigirl, i like the fact that its smooth like nothing was ever there. my factory 67 bezel however was beyond repairing, so i ponied up the cash for new.

Matt

On that subject, I'm not sure the heater hose plate gets that same dimension and thickness plate without the two holes punched in it for the hoses OR does it get two plugs in those holes. If it gets plugs, what goes in the screw holes between the plugs? I really doubt Chrysler is going to leave a hole between the firewall and interior compartment.

I may have answered my own question. I myself took these picture of a fairly original Mexican Duster years ago. Most of the Mexican cars are super messed with and hammered.

This one does have original engine compartment paint. It's messed with a little, but not much.

attachment.php

Not very often you'll find original dealer docs on Mexican Super Bee's....

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

That pic of the mexican duster looks like 2 caplugs, and a little screw between them to close up the hole.

I will prob copy my blower motor sheetmetal plate, just not put a hole in the center. Looks like the sheetmetal screw holes are staggered exact opposite of the blower motor screws and use a smaller diameter hole.

What about the firewall insulation?

Matt

Interesting about the heater boxes. Not that it would matter on our car...the cage is in the way of all that stuff...

Here is a few pics....one from a 1997 magazine article on a export heater delete Demon, the others are from my car and putting a left side fresh air box on the right.

I bought some 1/4"-20 rivet studs.... marked out the 3 holes..... drilled them.... added a little silicone(just in case) to the rivet head just before installing them, I'm very happy with them I highly doubt any water could leak through them from the cowl

Link for blind threaded rivets...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/x4pcs-1-4-2...tud-Captive-/200669921427?hash=item2eb8dc0093

Install was simple....

Add a star washer then a oversize nut(so it will spin freely) then a 1/4" nut, put a wrench on the over-sized nut and a socket on the 1/4" nut shove in hole and ratchet away while pressing into the hole you will feel the tension when the rivet is finished compressing

Detroit Muscle Technologies sells a left fresh air box gasket separately for $4.00
http://www.detroitmuscletechnologies.com/

Attachments

• DSC00590.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 600
  • DSC00597.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 495
  • DSC00600.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 638
  • DSC00594.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 486
  • DSC00595.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 528
  • DSC00589.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 517
autoXcuda do you have any pics of those plates installed? it would be nice to see what they look like before dropping the $$$

*Never mind I thought you were selling them*

The Puerto rican car in the pic has it wrong, the flat side faces down.

Here is a few pics....one from a 1997 magazine article on a export heater delete Demon, the others are from my car and putting a left side fresh air box on the right.

I bought some 1/4"-20 rivet studs.... marked out the 3 holes..... drilled them.... added a little silicone(just in case) to the rivet head just before installing them, I'm very happy with them I highly doubt any water could leak through them from the cowl

Link for blind threaded rivets...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/x4pcs-1-4-2...tud-Captive-/200669921427?hash=item2eb8dc0093

Install was simple....

Add a star washer then a oversize nut(so it will spin freely) then a 1/4" nut, put a wrench on the over-sized nut and a socket on the 1/4" nut shove in hole and ratchet away while pressing into the hole you will feel the tension when the rivet is finished compressing

Detroit Muscle Technologies sells a left fresh air box gasket separately for $4.00
http://www.detroitmuscletechnologies.com/

The 68 Signet dash plate that I donated to my friends 69 build.

I was approached by a guy at a show last weekend who is the original owner of a 67 Signet more door, all optioned out but without a heater. Lucky me his wife wants it gone and he'd like to see it go to somebody who appreciates it. we'll see..

Attachments

• 5eb6f0f66cbd320fd8f22920c9cf7af9.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 586
-
Back