Heater Hose Inner Fender Routing - 71 Demon 340

-

Demonx2

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a question I'm sure someone has the answer for. Does the photo below represent the correct heater hose routing/clamp location on the inner fender? This looks quite tidy but I've also seen them essentially laid up on top of the inner fender with maybe a zip tie, I've seen the clamp shown attached horizontally up on top of the inner fender and holding them, etc. etc. I have the clamp but wondering what the proper hose routing/clamp location was for these cars.

Thx - I know someone out there knows!!

upload_2021-10-29_22-5-14.png

Check your years Factory Service Manual

In 67 they had routing etc.

Yes - I had looked for that first but can't seem to find one for the 71's. 70 and 73...yes. 71...no. Hoping someone here will know!

I have a 69 BB 383 Fish that 99.5% had that similar mounting location.

A different Bracket I believe that turned up not down as pictured.

My car had never had that mount location punched on the inner fender or any where near it!

I agree with @Dana67Dart, however even the manual is not accurate all the time!

Most 69 up to 70? were in that location and maybe different brackets were used!

That looks better than those laid all over the engine. I cannot stand that, original or not and even if I had a high end numbers car, mine would be run over on the inner fender in a similar fashion to the photo, bean counters be damned. I detest anything that covers up the engine. Looks like ***. I have mine on Vixen run even father over on the inner fender than in your photo.

picture is correct for non-AC car

I take that back - where's the heater control valve in 71?

That looks better than those laid all over the engine. I cannot stand that, original or not and even if I had a high end numbers car, mine would be run over on the inner fender in a similar fashion to the photo, bean counters be damned. I detest anything that covers up the engine. Looks like ***. I have mine on Vixen run even father over on the inner fender than in your photo.

Agreed!

My 69 never had that hole punched in the inner fender for that typical hose bracket location so I just assumed late 68 and kept it that way.

This 68 or early 69 style is not bad and not laying all over the engine per say!

IMG_2776.JPG

There has to be a valve somewhere... it's connected to the temp slider in the dash with a cable in non-AC cars (attached with a vacuum hose to the valve in an AC car., otherwise it would be full on heat all the time.

There has to be a valve somewhere... it's connected to the temp slider in the dash with a cable in non-AC cars (attached with a vacuum hose to the valve in an AC car., otherwise it would be full on heat all the time.

My 69 never had such a valve!

The temp slider just controls the cowl air blend!

Agreed!

My 69 never had that hole punched in the inner fender for that typical hose bracket location so I just assumed late 68 and kept it that way.

This 68 or early 69 style is not bad and not laying all over the engine per say!

View attachment 1715812463
No, that's ok. What I'm talkin about are those with the hoses layin all over the intake. That's just stupid.

No sir, there doesn't have to be. My 64 Valiant didn't come with one. It controls the temperature via the doors in the heater box.

No, that's ok. What I'm talkin about are those with the hoses layin all over the intake. That's just stupid.
.....or the slant sixes with the hose all over the valve cover. Nasty! That's the slant six's claim to fame is that beautiful valve cover!

Now I'm really curious to see what others with a Non AC 71 small block A body actually have. I just can't wrap my head around running hot water through the heater box in August!

Wow am I stunned - what does the slider in the dash regulate?

Now I'm really curious to see what others with a Non AC 71 small block A body actually have. I just can't wrap my head around running hot water through the heater box in August!

They must be nearly the same.

There are three control cables in my car. One for defrost control and Two that work in conjunction for blend air from the cowl and air shut-off from the blower motor. If full cold the blend and blower door's are shut and no air flows over the heater core.

If moved towards the heat side then air flows through the heater core from both the blower side and the cowl side and is directed either to the floor or both to it and the defrost vents depending on the other defrost cable position. The full extent of the Heat cable will close off blend air from the cowl though the passenger box an force full flow through the heater core from the blower. There is always full coolant flow through the heater core and only felt inside when the doors are moved for such! Unlike A/C equipped cars.

Last edited:
All 340 '68/'69 Barracuda's have the heater hoses routed over the passenger valve cover from the factory and I agree that it's ugly and makes no sense. I've had both new non a/c, a '68 Formula S Barracuda 340 and an A56 '69 cuda 340 and both had that setup. My buddies brand new '69 Formula S 383 had them routed over the passenger inner fender.

From the factory there is a plastic strap with a push lock built on it. To simulate that if you cannot find one.
Take a black zip tie and push it through the hole from under the fender into the engine compartment. Then around the hoses and back out through the same hole. Connect the zip tie and the lock will be on the outer side of the fender well and hold the hoses up in place.

The hoses hang on the strap. They never came with a metal bracket. You will need the stand that holds them off the valve cover. Here are a couple of pictures of how they are routed. This is a 71 with a early 69 style carb and air breather.

The strap in these pics is a factory push strap. They are reusable if you know how to remove them.

DSCN1250.JPG

DSCN1064.JPG

100_0153.JPG

100_0154.JPG

100_0155.JPG

Last edited:
Beautiful 71, looks good with the 69 carb setup.

What 1969383S said in post 17 is correct for the 72 and later cars without AC as well. When the slider for temperature is in the cold position, it blocks airflow through the heater core.

From the factory there is a plastic strap with a push lock built on it. To simulate that if you cannot find one.
Take a black zip tie and push it through the hole from under the fender into the engine compartment. Then around the hoses and back out through the same hole. Connect the zip tie and the lock will be on the outer side of the fender well and hold the hoses up in place.

The hoses hang on the strap. They never came with a metal bracket. You will need the stand that holds them off the valve cover. Here are a couple of pictures of how they are routed. This is a 71 with a early 69 style carb and air breather.

The strap in these pics is a factory push strap. They are reusable if you know how to remove them.

View attachment 1715812551

View attachment 1715812552

View attachment 1715812553

View attachment 1715812554

View attachment 1715812555
That looks good!

Wow am I stunned - what does the slider in the dash regulate?
It controls the temperature via positioning of one of the air doors. At least that's how my 64 works. The core is "hot" all the time, but depending on the position of the air temp door makes the incoming cabin air hot or not. And as long as all the seals on everything are in good condition, it works quite well. I reconditioned my heater box shortly after I got the car and it will run your *** out with heat, or you'll never know it's there depending on where you have the temp knob pulled.

Been tied up doing some other things and didn't get back to this. I owe my thanks to you for your replies! When I get to this point, I like the routing shown by by Oldmanmopar and seems to be confirmed by the 71 Plymouth FSM so that's what I'll plan to do. I have the tall standoff bracket that holds the hoses up off the alternator so I should be all set. Thanks again for your input!!

-
Back