Heater Hose Nipple Size!

-

Pale340

Pale340
Reaction score
All, in the picture on the right you see what comes in a 70-74 small block heater hose nipple kit. It is 1/2 inch to 1/2 inch. However, the one on the left is the original one to the engine, which is a 73 340 by the way. It is 1/2 inch to 5/8 inch. It is from the original manifold that came on the engine from 73. I called the place I ordered it and they said that is what they are showing for a 70-74 small block. Well, it is obviously not correct. Has anyone else run into this and do you know where I can get the correct one? Keep in mind I would rather find what is in the picture as opposed to a Mr. Gasket or Spectre brand that uses a wrench to put it in place. I am putting this back to original appearance as close as possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
IMG_4039.JPG

Are you sure the one on the left wasn't a replacement? Maybe someone drilled out the original and replaced it with that? I've only see the one on the right. I could very well be wrong, just interesting to me.

Maybe measure it again when its cold out?

(Sorry, couldn't help myself)

You could put a bushing in it but check your heater core sizes and hose sizes too.
I've seen different hose sizes on some cars and not sure where or why they were different.

All, in the picture on the right you see what comes in a 70-74 small block heater hose nipple kit. It is 1/2 inch to 1/2 inch. However, the one on the left is the original one to the engine, which is a 73 340 by the way. It is 1/2 inch to 5/8 inch. It is from the original manifold that came on the engine from 73. I called the place I ordered it and they said that is what they are showing for a 70-74 small block. Well, it is obviously not correct. Has anyone else run into this and do you know where I can get the correct one? Keep in mind I would rather find what is in the picture as opposed to a Mr. Gasket or Spectre brand that uses a wrench to put it in place. I am putting this back to original appearance as close as possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated. View attachment 1715649085

The pipe thread should be 3/8" pipe thread...

Now what size nipple does that go to on the heater core... You match the heater core nipple size to the engine nipple size...

Some years had 5/8" inlet and outlet, and some had 5/8" inlet and 1/2" outlet on the heater cores...

All, in the picture on the right you see what comes in a 70-74 small block heater hose nipple kit. It is 1/2 inch to 1/2 inch. However, the one on the left is the original one to the engine, which is a 73 340 by the way. It is 1/2 inch to 5/8 inch. It is from the original manifold that came on the engine from 73. I called the place I ordered it and they said that is what they are showing for a 70-74 small block. Well, it is obviously not correct. Has anyone else run into this and do you know where I can get the correct one? Keep in mind I would rather find what is in the picture as opposed to a Mr. Gasket or Spectre brand that uses a wrench to put it in place. I am putting this back to original appearance as close as possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated. View attachment 1715649085

The pipe thread should be 3/8" pipe thread...

Now what size nipple does that go to on the heater core... You match the heater core nipple size to the engine nipple size...

Some years had 5/8" inlet and outlet, and some had 5/8" inlet and 1/2" outlet on the heater cores...

3/8" pipe thread by 1/2" nipple:

https://www.grainger.com/category/pipe-hose-tube-fittings/hose-products/hose-fittings-couplings/multipurpose-hose-fittings-couplings/multipurpose-barbed-hose-fittings/multipurpose-beaded-barbed-hose-fittings?attrs=Fitting+Shape|Straight~~Fitting+Size|1/2+in+x+3/8+in~~For+Hose+I.D.|1/2+in&filters=attrs

3/8" pipe thread by 5/8" nipple:

https://www.grainger.com/category/p...+x+3/8+in~~For+Hose+I.D.|5/8+in&filters=attrs

Last edited:

If you want original style, look here:

Mancini Racing Small Block Heater Hose Nipple Kit

It just does not make sense. The one on the left, apparently, was on the manifold from the factory. The heater hose was changed once in the cars life. The one on the right was ordered from Mancini. It looks like I will have no choice but to use an aftermarket type that uses a wrench to thread it into place.

Does anyone have a 73 intake manifold they can send me a picture of? I would like to compare with mine.

Unless this is a numbers build I personally like the ones that have a hex on them for tightening/loosening. I went with 5/8 on both of mine as then I would not have to neck down/up to get into the heater core.

$0.02

Unless this is a numbers build I personally like the ones that have a hex on them for tightening/loosening. I went with 5/8 on both of mine as then I would not have to neck down/up to get into the heater core.

$0.02
I am trying to make it a numbers build as close as I can. I will go with the hex if I have no other choice. Once it is painted blue I am sure it will look good and most would not notice. I would just know that it is not correct.

-
Back