Heater hose routing

-

GSXcite

Reaction score
I just replaced the heater core on my 66 barracuda with the 273V8. A shop bypassed the hose so the car could be driven. Question, does the hose coming from the heater control valve go to the intake manifold or water pump? Does anyone have a picture of the factory routing for the hoses? Thanks

The only time it would make a difference is when the IN and OUT use different size hoses which you need to match up with the engine .

Tell me how the heater core knows the difference, I have always on my 273 put the water pump to the outboard nipple and the intake hose to the inboard.
My heater works just fine.

Alan
My system has a control valve. It does have factory air, do that may be the difference, I don't know. According to the diagram, the hose from the valve goes to the intake manifold.

My system has a control valve. It does have factory air, that may be the difference, I don't know. According to the diagram, the hose from the valve goes to the intake manifold.
IMAG0421.jpg

IMAG0421.jpg

Tell me how the heater core knows the difference, I have always on my 273 put the water pump to the outboard nipple and the intake hose to the inboard.
My heater works just fine.

Alan
It may be "less likely" to become air bound one way or the other is my educated guess.
I too never knew there was a difference when both are 5/8"

It may be "less likely" to become air bound one way or the other is my educated guess.

I too never knew there was a difference when both are 5/8"
Mine are both 5/8" and I ran them parallel for looks, the heater doesn't care . Mabe a thot about forcing trapped air out the top tho.
I`m thinkin of re routing mine under the victor in take and strapping it to the underside of the runners for the winter, doesn't like to run right till it hits 190-195 .
---------------OPINIONS ???????????

It does make a difference, at least for me it did. Back in the mid 70's I installed a different heater box in late fall in my 68 GTS. Winter came and the heater blew out not even warm air. A friend and I were driving around freezing our asses off. He asked me why my heater didn't work, he asked if I installed the heater hoses correctly. The next day I switched the hoses around and nice hot heater

I ran the hose from the control valve and it works great, nice and toasty! Now on to the next job, replacing the leaky steering box and power steering pump. May have to rebuild the pump as I have not found a source for a rebuilt or new unit.

It does make a difference, at least for me it did. Back in the mid 70's I installed a different heater box in late fall in my 68 GTS. Winter came and the heater blew out not even warm air. A friend and I were driving around freezing our asses off. He asked me why my heater didn't work, he asked if I installed the heater hoses correctly. The next day I switched the hoses around and nice hot heater

Sounds like you had a control valve inline somewhere . ???

Mine are both 5/8" and I ran them parallel for looks, the heater doesn't care . Mabe a thot about forcing trapped air out the top tho.
I`m thinkin of re routing mine under the victor in take and strapping it to the underside of the runners for the winter, doesn't like to run right till it hits 190-195 .
---------------OPINIONS ???????????

No opinions on me trying to heat my 440 victor intake a little ? Take it that no one has done that .

-
Back