hedder/ intake difference in flange thickness??

-

ChazRam

1964 Valiant V200
Reaction score
I have a set of Hooker Supsr Comp Hedders and an 'Offy' 4bbl intake with a Holley 390 I would like to put on my slant. The intake flange is thicker than the hedder flange and will not mount up tight. I have talked to people and got advice on just putting 'shims' by the thinner hedder flange when mounting everything up and this should work. I question the durability as the car will be driven alot and I do not want to have to keep tweaking the bolts for leaks from the hedder and intake getting bounced around in the never ending Chicago potholes. I have also been told I can have the intake flange 'milled' down to the same thickness as the hedder flange but I am afraid it will cause the intake to crack ruining the whole deal. Since so many of you have this kind of setup what will work and not look 'cobbled' when everything is mounted? In addition to these questions would a dual 1bbl intake and carb setup with linkage be really difficult or overly expensive to obtain as I want something different on my car and think dual carbs with alot of detail would look pretty nice under the hood! Thanks for any help or info,
Chas.

new car pics 028.JPG

I think it would be better to take the lil' triangle hold downs and weld some material to the side that contacts the header and then grind them smooth to where the triangle washer sits level after tightening.that should do the trick and clamp the headers down tight for ya! JMO

I think the BEST setup is to have nuts welded to the header flanges. As Waggin has stated building up the material on 1 side of the washers can work. I have seen someone build up epoxy on the header flanges. I have milled the flanges on an Offy intake with out any problems BUT its on a race car.
Frank

i filed down my intake. but it wasnt much. i have clifford headers and i just needed to fine tune so that the hold down were flat. i will let you know if my intake cracks.

Frank, I got the oil stick and Im in debt to ya. Thank ya very much and let me know how to get your money back to you or what I can do for you!!!! Thanks again Marvin

-
Back