hedman long tubes, how do you save plug wire 5/7?

-

magnumdust

Reaction score
For those of you who also made the mistake of not buying the hedman shorties, how have you kept your plug wires alive on cylinder #5 and #7?

I think i'm on my 3rd/4th wire for those cylinders now. My latest attempt used a hardware store L bracket on the valve cover and zip ties, but i still only have 1/4-1/2" of space from the inconveniently placed primary tube. and my last try used heat boots, but it burned right through those. :eek:ops:

Next burned plug wire will result in hedman shorties and stress relieving day with a sawsall. :cheers:

I've used the ceramic screw-on mopar boots on my small block. They're burn proof & rotate as needed. They come in a pair I assume just for this issue. Just cut the wire off clean @ the boot & screw these on. Other option is the braided hi-temp coverings you can get to cover your existing boots.

I've used the ceramic screw-on mopar boots on my small block. They're burn proof & rotate as needed. They come in a pair I assume just for this issue. Just cut the wire off clean @ the boot & screw these on. Other option is the braided hi-temp coverings you can get to cover your existing boots.

The braided coverings are what the primary burned through last time. And it looks like mopar discontinued those ceramic screw on boots.

I used 90 degree boots on #5 and 7. It keeps the wires away from the headers enough so they don't burn.

X2 on the 90 degree boots, that's what I did for #5, and 7, never had a problem, I also use a piece of 5/8" synthetic fire hose for a heat shield over the boots. My plug wires are 18 years old!!!

x3 90 deg boots and these
35610501_L_19290b63.jpg

I put a folded piece of header wrap between those two plug wires and the pipe, and it's been fine for cloae to a year now.
(3 thicknesses)

-
Back