HEI and new alternator suggestions (318)?

-

Steve69Fish

Reaction score
As I am contemplating my rewiring project - decided to include an HEI conversion (currently still points) and new alternator at the same time. Looking into options - I saw this setup on ebay which is a complete drop-in system and includes the wires - $125 to my door, but I'm rarely trusting of a lot of stuff I see on ebay without a bit of corroboration. Has anyone tried out this kit:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SMALL-BLOCK...es-/321478893783?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

Seller is theswapmeetparts

If this stuff is usually junk - what would you suggest without breaking the bank (I'd really like to be under $150, but might stretch to $200 if there is a good reason) for something reliable that performs well.

I'm also looking for suggestions on alternators. I want to have enough juice for expanding without overdoing it in order to keep costs reasonable.

A squareback came on the motor on the original VR. Second field terminal is not grounded, it turns out, as the terminal is broken. No idea of the rating of the alternator - found the numbers 3438 5305 stamped on the case.

The Barracuda is for nice weather cruising, not so much burning up the asphalt, but is a mildly worked 318 that I do want to be able to get up and go when the mood strikes. No power windows, no power seats and no intention to add. Also no A/C. Planning on a decent stereo at some point, and maybe a few other future items like electric fans or even adding A/C.

Any input from those who have already been there would be greatly appreciated.

I think Trail Beast has a good idea on the HEI..... Something like this...

vbpgimage.php

vbpgimage.php

for the alternator:
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?p=1480334

I am still using the same 78A 12si and I have:
-Ford Contour Electric fans (2 motors)
-Aeromotive 340 LPH electric fuel pump
-Port EFI, which includes coil near plug, ECU, 8 injectors, heated O2.
-Everything else that's normally on the car.

It's keeping up quite well. If you bought the 94A model of the same alternator (looks and is identically sized)...you would not run out of power.

If you have a welder, you could basically install this in a couple of hours for under $100.

I found a late model electronic ignition distributor and bought the wiring kit from summit or Jegs for less than $30.00. Wired in easy and works great

for the alternator:
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?p=1480334

I am still using the same 78A 12si and I have:
-Ford Contour Electric fans (2 motors)
-Aeromotive 340 LPH electric fuel pump
-Port EFI, which includes coil near plug, ECU, 8 injectors, heated O2.
-Everything else that's normally on the car.

It's keeping up quite well. If you bought the 94A model of the same alternator (looks and is identically sized)...you would not run out of power.

If you have a welder, you could basically install this in a couple of hours for under $100.

This looks very good, especially thinking 94 amp for lots of future-proofing. Thank you. Unfortunately I don't have welding capability - no welder and haven't welded in more than 20 years. Heck - even then I welded ugly. Maybe someone has come up with kits for these.

Search here and on ebay for "ready-to-run" HEI distributor, $45. Few problems, easy to wire. Add an e-core coil for better spark. The $110 one you contemplate has had problems clearing the firewall in many A bodies. Its advantage is that the coil is integral, as in early GM HEI, so even easier wiring. 1985-95 GM HEI used a "small-cap" distributor w/ external coil, which are the parts TrailBeast sells, but you also need a Mopar e-distributor for that approach.

The square-back alternator is 55 or 70 A I recall. The later had a thinner middle spacer (search photos). It would be fine for just electronic ignition. An AC clutch is also negligible (1 A?). Probably not for an electric radiator fan (~10 A steady?) or a ground-hopping bass stereo if you like to bother the public. The square-back especially shines over the round-back in outputting more at idle.

I can help a bit on this subject :D

We assemble and sell the later 8 pin weatherproof module HEI kits with a 55,000 volt Ecore coil and we have a website for them here www.classichei.com
We can also supply the OEM style electronic distributor pre wired for the HEI as well as add a 2,500 RPM Mr. Gasket advance curve spring kit AND the FBO mechanical timing limiter plate all installed and ready to drop in and run.
We set the distributor up with a basic type advance curve and max timing limit for the average engine that can be fine tuned by the owner at any time.
The average specs that it leaves here with is for a 10-12 degree initial advance and 22 degrees of mechanical advance for a total of 34 degrees (about 50-52 total with vacuum advance added) all easily adjustable at any time.

Email us from the website and we can give you any specifics you might like to know.
The $149.99 kit does not include a recurved and limited distributor.

As Bill said, those distributors like you linked are fine for what they are and the design has been around for a long time and is very reliable, but there are better choices you would be happier with in the long run. (like the small cap HEI capable distributor with and external coil)
The one you posted the link to has the "coil in cap" and is why it is so big and some people have problems with firewall and wiper motor clearance with those.
If you want inexpensive, decent reliability and HEI consider the small cap Skip White distributor and an HEI coil.
Also keep in mind that the Skip White distributors come with choice of male or female terminal caps, so if you already have a good set of plug wires you can keep and use them.

As far as the alternator, you can find all kinds of ways to change things by installing something for a different car, year, model or whatever but you really do not need anything more than a basic 60 amp square back OEM style distributor with what you plan to run in the car.

Search here and on ebay for "ready-to-run" HEI distributor, $45. Few problems, easy to wire. Add an e-core coil for better spark. The $110 one you contemplate has had problems clearing the firewall in many A bodies. Its advantage is that the coil is integral, as in early GM HEI, so even easier wiring. 1985-95 GM HEI used a "small-cap" distributor w/ external coil, which are the parts TrailBeast sells, but you also need a Mopar e-distributor for that approach.

The square-back alternator is 55 or 70 A I recall. The later had a thinner middle spacer (search photos). It would be fine for just electronic ignition. An AC clutch is also negligible (1 A?). Probably not for an electric radiator fan (~10 A steady?) or a ground-hopping bass stereo if you like to bother the public. The square-back especially shines over the round-back in outputting more at idle.

Got a laugh on that bass stereo idea. The only ground-hopping I intend to do is a little speeding up over the railroad tracks! :cheers:

I'll put in a nice stereo with enough juice that I can hear over the exhaust note when I want to blast a bit of Hair Nation! But the only public nuisance I am nowadays is when I've had too much Mexican for lunch and get into a crowded elevator.....

Found a bar-code sticker hidden on the bottom of the alternator last night that seems to indicate 35A. Were there squarebacks putting out at 35? I thought they were all more than that.

I can help a bit on this subject :D

We assemble and sell the later 8 pin weatherproof module HEI kits with a 55,000 volt Ecore coil and we have a website for them here www.classichei.com
We can also supply the OEM style electronic distributor pre wired for the HEI as well as add a 2,500 RPM Mr. Gasket advance curve spring kit AND the FBO mechanical timing limiter plate all installed and ready to drop in and run.
We set the distributor up with a basic type advance curve and max timing limit for the average engine that can be fine tuned by the owner at any time.
The average specs that it leaves here with is for a 10-12 degree initial advance and 22 degrees of mechanical advance for a total of 34 degrees (about 50-52 total with vacuum advance added) all easily adjustable at any time.

Email us from the website and we can give you any specifics you might like to know.
The $149.99 kit does not include a recurved and limited distributor.

As Bill said, those distributors like you linked are fine for what they are and the design has been around for a long time and is very reliable, but there are better choices you would be happier with in the long run. (like the small cap HEI capable distributor with and external coil)
The one you posted the link to has the "coil in cap" and is why it is so big and some people have problems with firewall and wiper motor clearance with those.
If you want inexpensive, decent reliability and HEI consider the small cap Skip White distributor and an HEI coil.
Also keep in mind that the Skip White distributors come with choice of male or female terminal caps, so if you already have a good set of plug wires you can keep and use them.

As far as the alternator, you can find all kinds of ways to change things by installing something for a different car, year, model or whatever but you really do not need anything more than a basic 60 amp square back OEM style distributor with what you plan to run in the car.

Thanks Trailbeast. I'm after safety and reliability first on this project as I will be hauling my family around in the car all summer. It's essentially going to be my weekend daily driver as long as the sun is shining. The wiring system currently in it is in desperate need of replacement - and it makes sense to do all the ignition components at the same time so I'm only wiring once. With everyone here on FABO - I feel a lot more comfortable in researching and making the right decisions.

Thanks Trailbeast. I'm after safety and reliability first on this project as I will be hauling my family around in the car all summer. It's essentially going to be my weekend daily driver as long as the sun is shining. The wiring system currently in it is in desperate need of replacement - and it makes sense to do all the ignition components at the same time so I'm only wiring once. With everyone here on FABO - I feel a lot more comfortable in researching and making the right decisions.

I hear that.
One of the things I require in an ignition system for a driver is parts availability in case of a failure.
Buying specialized parts for a daily driver is kind of asking to be broke down somewhere waiting for days for replacement parts.

Simplicity and cost effective would be the Skip White all in one HEI distributor and a decent Ecore coil. (right about 100 bucks total)
The drawback would be a waiting for another one if it failed.

I hear that.
One of the things I require in an ignition system for a driver is parts availability in case of a failure.
Buying specialized parts for a daily driver is kind of asking to be broke down somewhere waiting for days for replacement parts.

Simplicity and cost effective would be the Skip White all in one HEI distributor and a decent Ecore coil. (right about 100 bucks total)
The drawback would be a waiting for another one if it failed.

Understanding that we all love to complain...how often have FABO members really had these fail? Does it seem to be a common occurrence, or a rare, but loudly reported, one?

I suppose I could always carry the old points setup around in the trunk. Or, considering that the cost is lowish, a secondary Skip White distributor and/or coil.

I've taken a look at your site as well and will be sending an email from there with a few questions about the kits you offer!

Understanding that we all love to complain...how often have FABO members really had these fail? Does it seem to be a common occurrence, or a rare, but loudly reported, one?

I suppose I could always carry the old points setup around in the trunk. Or, considering that the cost is lowish, a secondary Skip White distributor and/or coil.

I've taken a look at your site as well and will be sending an email from there with a few questions about the kits you offer!

I don't think I have ever actually heard or seen one person mention a failure with the Skip White distributor.
Seems reliable enough just from that standpoint.
Look at how many ignition component failures we see on here for example.

A coil going bad is really rare (especially ecore coils)

The Skip White one (actually a Chinese company, "Ningbao" I recall) has a removable cover so you can easily get at the module. It is probably a standard part for some vehicle, but nobody has pinned it down as I recall, but search. Anyway, it is 4-terminal like the original GM module and about the same size, I think with the same spade lugs, so might be an easy swap to a GM one ($20 ebay). Worst-case, you might have to leave the cover off, but that would get you home. If or when I install mine, I am thinking of substituting a GM 8-pin module since that has many advantages. I will have to molest the cover though for access to the connectors, but if I have my milling machine CNC'ed by then that could be real purty.

This looks very good, especially thinking 94 amp for lots of future-proofing. Thank you. Unfortunately I don't have welding capability - no welder and haven't welded in more than 20 years. Heck - even then I welded ugly. Maybe someone has come up with kits for these.

You may be able to either bolt it or shorten the Mr Gasket bracket and get it to work. The main drawback to just shortening it is that you may have to loosen at the water pump side to get it to adjust well. I don't have to.

I had nothing but bad luck with the Mopar alternators. I even had a 78 amp squareback before this setup. Regulators lasted about 4 years at best, didn't charge for crap at idle...this was a massive improvement in idle charging.

-
Back