HEI conversion issue

-

Dizzydean

Reaction score
I did the HEI conversion on my 67 dart. Using a factory electric distributor, installed the magnecore wires, new cap and rotor, new module. The only part not new is the coil I used the one from the doner vehicle. Car will start and idle but when I give a little throttle it runs very rough and forget trying to drive it motor wants to stall and bucks. Timing marks line up same as from before and no pinging sound with the throttle. Could the coil or module be bad? How can I check. I can try to post a video if it will help.

I did the HEI conversion on my 67 dart. Using a factory electric distributor, installed the magnecore wires, new cap and rotor, new module. The only part not new is the coil I used the one from the doner vehicle. Car will start and idle but when I give a little throttle it runs very rough and forget trying to drive it motor wants to stall and bucks. Timing marks line up same as from before and no pinging sound with the throttle. Could the coil or module be bad? How can I check. I can try to post a video if it will help.

Check your reluctor gap, and then try swapping the two wires that go to your distributor.
The timing marks can be the same with the wires reversed, but the rotor isn't in the right position when the spark happens so when it starts to advance the phasing of the rotor in relation to the cap terminals gets even farther off.
This causes the results you are getting.

Easy to check, and a common mistake.

Coils other than HEI (Ecore) can be used, but you will not have the spark it can generate with the E or C core type.
The HEI module just makes and breaks the connection to fire the coil just like any other method.

I'm with TB. Check reluctor gap and check/ swap your pickup wires. HERE IS the normal polarity for HEI

4pin-jpg.jpg

NOTICE (that regardless of color) the BARE terminal on the distributor goes to the bottom HEI terminal as represented by the BLACK on the bottom right of the HEI

Coil? I used my stock Mopar coil, no resistor, it worked great. This is my 'murgency ignition..........with a stock coil

hwlcfa-jpg.jpg

I use it for stuff like test run engines

That's right...........this is a Magnum.........with a homemade carb adapter and an earlier distributor to fire up on the stand

img_1036-jpg.jpg

img_1024-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Trailbeast apparently that's all I missed was the wire swap on the dist. side. I could of sworn I tried that already but I did have a defective rebuild that caused a lot of headache. Runs great now.

-
Back