Hei help!!!!

-

mwls73duster360

Bad as Buddy Holly
Reaction score
:mumum: so yesterday I went to go to work and the car wouldn't start. spent 20min trying to get it to work until I noticed there was nothing under my cap and wires. I don't know what kind of pos would do this. well after all day calling parts stores I finally found one with a distributor. The thing is its an HEI conversion. It is the big cap kind and barely fit in. Then I couldn't get the rottor to line up to number one. So I found top dead center then rotated my firing order. Now it starts and runs but there is still a small miss. I cant figure it out. Timing is set at 12 advanced idling at 700 rpms. this is a 91 360 in my 72 duster. I gaped my plugs at .45. Any ideas im chevy dumb.:banghead:

also do I hook up vacuum advance or is it mechanical it didn't say anything in directions.

Attachments

• 446155356_tp.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 211
matt, pull each wire and isolate which cyl is misfiring. check that plug. could have been a borderline plug and with the HEI it gave up the ship. also check some of the others to verify heat range correct.

lol - yes running, use insulated puller or something insulated and don't ground yourself to the car. Come on down here if you want to, I'll help you through it if needed.

plugs are only 3 months old don't remember which id have to pull m=numbers but I paid like 6 a piece for them

if you have timing light, I just hook it to each plug wire to see if it is firing to plug, keep from getting shocked

matt, pull each wire and isolate which cyl is misfiring. check that plug. could have been a borderline plug and with the HEI it gave up the ship. also check some of the others to verify heat range correct.

while its running?

Let's clarify here

DO NOT PULL plug wires and leave them unhooked to expect to check anything, because when you pull a wire off, this creates a CROSSFIRE situation.

Do so like this:

If possible, do so at the cap, instead of the plugs. Loosen all 8 wires so you can get them on/ off easier, then use something like insulated fuse pullers.

9382634-insulated-electricians-fuse-puller-held-in-glove.jpg

Use a probe/ screwdriver with a clip lead to ground. AS YOU pull each wire off one at a time, "slip" your grounded probe to the cap connector with your other hand so the spark GROUNDS and does not crossfire.

Do this at a "nice" idle, and if inconclusive, try just a little higher idle speed. You are looking for each cylinder to cause the same drop in RPM as you remove them. No change in one or two cylinders, or a different change than the others indicates a problem with that cylinder.

^ I've seen a guy do that one time, also seen that same guy get knocked in his *** at that same time.

Thanks for clarifying 67dart. When you do something for 40 years you don't always think that others haven't. Some of that I did clarify with him on the phone.

done it many times for many years, never been knocked on my butt. I have been lit up a few times, but it's a jolt. It works in a pinch when other diag equip is not avail.

The other benefit of grounding: the coil and distributor electronics are protected from over voltage. As long as the ground is good and you connect it to the wire it is safe. You do not want a finger between plug wire and ground clip.

:D Kinda like sticking your tongue to a 9 volt battery.
Answers the question really quickly, but don't get the impression I am comparing the two voltages in any way.
One is slightly uncomfortable, and the other hurts clear up to your elbow. :D

Thanks for clarifying 67dart. When you do something for 40 years you don't always think that others haven't. Some of that I did clarify with him on the phone.

done it many times for many years, never been knocked on my butt. I have been lit up a few times, but it's a jolt. It works in a pinch when other diag equip is not avail.

lol - exactly!

:D Kinda like sticking your tongue to a 9 volt battery.
Answers the question really quickly, but don't get the impression I am comparing the two voltages in any way.
One is slightly uncomfortable, and the other hurts clear up to your elbow. :D

The fact of the matter is, SOME of these modern HP ignitions can actually electrically lethal. Even if the juice doesn't kill ya, it could cause a violent muscular reaction that might end up with a hand, etc into a fan/ belt, or other injuries.

Eh I've been hit with a taser that my brother made out of d batteries and flashs from disposable cameras. That was way way worse left blisters on the skin. It wasn't on purpose lol.

-
Back