hei ignition coil on mopar

-

peelo57

Reaction score
I am planning to upgrade my Electronic ignition (orange box) to hei system.
So what kind of ignition coil i can use whith hei system? i will be bybassing ballast resistor same time. What are correct ohm values for this system 0.5-1 ohm?

HEI current limits without the ballast. So bypassing the ballast results in near zero Ohms, and also serves to provide cranking and run ignition sources.

Attachments

• hei5.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 392
  • hei1.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 406
  • hei4.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 380
The 4-pin HEI module is older. A simpler, cleaner way is to use the 8-pin HEI module w/ GM "external coil" that connects to it. That also allows spark timing control down the road. Many posts on FABO w/ photos. TrailBeast sells a kit w/ new parts for $99 or junkyard ~$15 like I did. If JY trip, also grab the knock sensor and module, 85-95 GM trucks w/ TBI. The Summit coil you show looks like a Ford. The GM is similar but connects simpler. Wow, I see that 73AbodEE beat me to the best answer.

I suspect those Accel HEI modules are over-priced hype, just a regular GM module (<$10 ebay) with yellow label slapped on. The 8-pin module gives easier, more rugged wiring w/ Metri-pak connectors. Since the junkyard isn't an option, I suggest buying TrailBeast's $100 kit. A fair price for all-new components with most of the wiring done. Otherwise, you could piece together the parts yourself. I heard one can get the connectors at NAPA. The GM coil should be fine. The Ford and Mopar coils of that era are very similar, just different connectors, and all 3 companies can't be wrong.

-
Back