HEI Ignition noise

-

caper340

Reaction score
I recently converted my 69 340 Swinger to electronic ignition using the complete kit from Mopar. I also changed to an electronic voltage regulator at the same time. Now, my am radio has so much igition noise I don't even turn it on. Yes, I do prefere to listen to the purr of a 340\4 speed. However, when my wife is with me on a long cruise she prefers the radio. Its all about balance.
I have checked all connectors and the grounding of the ecu at the firewall and it all seems to be in order.
Any suggestions? Thanks.

Dose the sound rev up with the engine. Its could be a bad diode in the alternator, although I not sure why its just happening now. Did you change your alternator when you upgraded to a electronic voltage regulator.

years ago Radio Shack offered an nline noise supresser for that. might be like those addon FM converters today, hard to find. Good luck

Dose the sound rev up with the engine. Its could be a bad diode in the alternator, although I not sure why its just happening now. Did you change your alternator when you upgraded to a electronic voltage regulator.
Didn't change the alternator but yes, it does increase a the engine is reveed. Seems odd that it wasn't happening before.

Didn't change the alternator but yes, it does increase a the engine is reveed. Seems odd that it wasn't happening before.
The 2 noises are different but tough to distinguish unless you've heard both before.
Simply disconnect the blue wire from back of altenater and see if your radio noise goes away.

I will double check the grounding of the ecu as well as pulling the blue wire of the alternator. Both seem like a good place to start. Thanks for your input.

Did you also change the plug wires or spark plugs? If you did it could be from one of them. You should be using resistor plugs and wires. Allot of advertisers market the heli-core type plug wires as being radio interference free but I haven't seen any that are completely RFI free. I put a set of Taylor wires on my old Dakota 318 a few yrs. back and it wiped out the stereo.

If you haven't done it already, resistor plugs and new RF suppression plug wires should take care of the noise. If it doesn't, go to Radio Shack and get a 10 henry choke. Splice the choke in to the power feed for the radio (cut the wire, one end to a choke wire and the other end to the other choke wire) and you should be done with noise.

off the subject.
love your icon grumpus!!
brings back memories.
that was a good episode.

-
Back